occasional Echo in Texas/Singapore

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
johnnyrod
occasional Echo in Texas/Singapore

Post by johnnyrod » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:36 pm

Occasionally, I get an echo when I call San Antonio, Texas.
I'm in Austin, but ooma was all out of Austin numbers so I have a temp phone number out of San Antonio until my number is ported ( which is fine since I have family there too ).

I also get echo a lot when we call Singapore. It can be heard on both sides.

Can tech support check this out?

johnnyrod

Re: occasional Echo in Texas/Singapore

Post by johnnyrod » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Update: Time warner found a connection issue to my house. It will take a week to get a tech out here, though. Will update any progress.

johnnyrod

Post by johnnyrod » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Turns out the cable was too old. 4 years to be exact.
Time Warner put in a new modem and my connect speeds are better than ever. No more echo or choppy calls.

However, we still get occasional dropped calls to Singapore in the middle of the conversation.

Any ideas?

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:06 am

If you can set your computer up next to the Ooma phone and hub location... download the free version of http://www.pingplotter.com and run it with the location of a Singapore-based Web-server.

You might get to see the latency of your internet connectivity to that region of the globe and observe it at the time such a drop-out is occurring. The ping Plotter won't show you the exact route the call is taking to get to your phone-call destination, but it will help you to see if latency is a contributor to the cause of the drop-out(s).
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>