Buzzing noise problem with Telo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
strogonowski
Re: Buzzing noise problem with Telo

Post by strogonowski » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Got myself $50 UPS (which was long overdue anyway) and hum\buzz issue is no longer. Can't tell the difference in Voice quality between Ooma and AT&T pots line. In addition, now I have a backup if power goes out.

wildbill

Post by wildbill » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Be sure to get a UPS for your router/modem DMZ.

--Bill

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 am

I am bothered by the buzzing noise as well (I just activated a Hub/Scout combo integrated with landline).

If I connect the phone directly to the landline jack and carry out a phone call, I hear a bit of buzzing but the buzzing is drastically amplified if I connect the phone to the Hub, to the point it is annoying.

Then, I thought to try long distance and see; what do you know...the buzzing sound is not there during long distance calls!

This tells me the buzzing sound only happens when I use the landline (local calls); will this problem be solved with the 3 prong power adapter?

Even if I don't get the 3 prong adapter, I hope this buzzing goes away for local calls when I port my number over to ooma. Any others with same experience?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:33 pm

My number port isn't complete yet so ooma Hub's local and toll free calls are still routed through the landline; this is when I hear a loud buzzing background noise (if I connect my phone directly to the wall outlet, the buzz is less pronounced but it is still there; discovered through leaving myself VMs, to the other party, the buzz is loud all the time; it doesn't matter if my phone is connected to wall jack or ooma Hub).

Today, I went to the NIB outside the house and plugged my phone directly into the landline telephone company (via test jack) and I still hear the buzzing noise. So for me, I am sure the buzzing isn't coming from my ooma Hub or the house wiring. I am amazed that I lived with this annoying buzzing noise on my landline for all these years (ooma Hub made me notice and focus in on this buzzing noise; it isn't ooma Hub's fault, the Hub just amplifies the buzzing).

When I make long distance calls, I have no buzzing noise in the background and the voice quality is exceptionally clear; I am so looking forward to my number port completing so that I can enjoy crystal clear calls long distance or not.

jtgoody

Post by jtgoody » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:22 pm

by jtgoody » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Just upgraded from the hub to the telo. Right away I noticed the buzz. Never had this problem with the hub using handsets and wired into the house phones. Enable fax mode and the buzz seems to have gone after power cycle of telo.

UPDATE
My Buzz or static is back on the phone. I am actually a telephone installer and know that my house wiring is good, I still have the buzz on the on just the dect 6 phones with nothing else hooked up. Also I have the telo plugged into a protective power strip which dosent help either. Just wondering what Ooma is doing about this issue

kuyan

Post by kuyan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:24 pm

it seems like we only get the buzzing sound is when calling long distance overseas to the philippines.

local calls seem to be fine. and long distance calls to somewhere elsewhere in united states are okay also.

for us, our thinking is that maybe it's how the ooma is making the connection from the ooma network to whatever other telephone networks to connect to whoever we're calling. i say this because it seems that there is a divergence as to when other people are getting the buzzing sound. other people may get it on local calls but not on long distance. etc. etc. etc. but we get the buzzing only when calling the philippines and we get no buzzing when making local calls or long distance in the united states. so we think it may ultimately be a network connection problem when navigating from telephone network to another telephone network. i don't think there's too much we can do about it except to accept it and to complain to ooma about the quality (or lack thereof) of the telephone calls.

it could still be the equipment but maybe on the other person's end like if the other person is using a cell phone and it all sounds okay to them but not to us. whatever. i don't know for sure because various factors may also affect the situation.

oh, we have an ooma telo. it's connected between a cable modem and a netgear wifi router. and the electrical plugs are plugged into a UPS. and the cable internet coax cable is connected to the surge protecter thingie on the UPS. and the phone line is going from the ooma to a wall phone outlet to connect to the wired phones throughout the house. and the ooma, cable modem, netgear wifi router, and UPS are all sitting together about a foot or two from the electrical wall outlet. and this is near a TV set. but no electrical interference causing a buzzing problem for us. again, the only buzz that we may get is when we call the philippines.

the buzzing bothers my parents and that's why i came here to look in the forum to see if anyone is getting the buzzing also. as for me personally, i just accept that you can get bad calls at times because this is a telephone afterall. for my dad, he says the calls to the philippines are better on skype and cheaper on skype too. so it looks like my parents will only be using ooma for calls in the U.S only.
-----
Ooma Calling Since April 2010
Ooma Telo, Ooma Handset HD 2, Ooma Safety Phone

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:50 am

Try disconnecting the Phone port from the in wall wiring and connect just one phone to the Phone port for the next call to see if that has any effect on the problem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kuyan

Post by kuyan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:46 pm

@murphy
thanks for the response about trying to see what happens with only one phone attached.
told my dad. but he looked at me funny. like what a solution is that since if he wants all
the phones hooked up and this buzzing for us ONLY happens on long distance calls to the
philippines and not on any other calls. no buzzing on any other calls for us. just on the calls
to the philippines. we still think for us that this is a network problem on Ooma's end in
how they connect to the philippines. does the Ooma people read these messages, or
is there a webpage here where we can submit feedback on telephone call quality?
-----
Ooma Calling Since April 2010
Ooma Telo, Ooma Handset HD 2, Ooma Safety Phone

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:36 pm

That was an experiment to see if it had any effect. It was not meant to be permanent.

This is primarily a user to user forum.
The Ooma employees that are moderators read some messages when they have time but that is not their primary job.

If you want to report a problem it is best to call them on the phone.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

FRET_BUZZ

Post by FRET_BUZZ » Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 am

I had the same problem. I am using the Telo with a wireless adapter. Connected to the Telo is a phone with a Plantronics headset. I replaced both the phone (AT&T and Panasonic) and the Plantronics headset (2 different headsets and S11s). All interconnect cables were replaced as well. The problem is isolated to the Telo. I am suspecting the power supply is under powered which increases power supply ripple to the Telo. I resolved most of the issue by turning off the status lighting.