Buzzing noise problem with Telo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
kodak dan
Re: Buzzing noise problem with Telo

Post by kodak dan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 pm

nop and tom_p. I was hoping I'd have an answer for you. I found, last night, where many people got rid of the buzz, by going to my.ooma.com, preferences tab, phone number, double click it and select "fax mode" and save. Then reboot your Telo allowing it to stay off for 30 seconds.

Good and bad news. My Telo handset no longer has the buzz, but a phone wired into the Telo still has it. Are you guys hearing the buzz with a wired phone? To be more specific, do you have a wired set plugged directly into the back of the Telo, and that is where you are hearing the buzz?

tom_p

Post by tom_p » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:35 pm

In my case I have tried a regualar analog stand-alone phone and an analog wireless base unit to a wireless phone system. Both produce the buzz. I do not have an Ooma handset and don't plan on spending on one if Ooma is going to have a short lifetime in my home. However, I did just take the time to go try your suggestion and it did not help. The buzz is still there and I am pretty sure it is common powerline noise.

I have also tried plugging the Telo into an outlet all on its own and moving it to the middle of the room so there is nothing else that can create interference near the Telo or any if the cables. When I get the time I will try plugging it into a known different circuit but I heavily suspect the ungrounded power supply/transformer is the culprit.

kruegs

Post by kruegs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Just for grins, try putting the following prefix before you dial out to try and see if this helps clear the buzz... *99, then your number. I had the same thing and found my issue was/is the CODEC used by OOMA for calls. *99 forces the Telo into G.711 which some say improves clarity... in my case, it got rid of the buzz.

kodak dan

Post by kodak dan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:23 pm

tom_p: Sorry that didn't work for you.

kruegs: It is my understanding that setting your line to fax mode, within my.ooma.com, is the same as dialing 99 prior to each call. tom_p and I just did it permanently.

I had multiple issues. setting the line to fax mode stopped the buzz on my Telo handset. I had also been testing with a bad wired phone. Found another POC wired phone and connected it; buzz is gone. Changed that phone out with a wireless phone and base. No buzz there either.

Although it is now working satisfactory, I am not certain I want to keep this Ooma system. I'm going to try it out for a few weeks, then remove the fax mode, and see if it is still working. After that I want to hook it up after the router because I can not afford for the POC power plug on the back of the Ooma to come out and take down my entire network. My network, not Ooma, is my livelihood.

jtgoody

Post by jtgoody » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Just upgraded from the hub to the telo. Right away I noticed the buzz. Never had this problem with the hub using handsets and wired into the house phones. Enable fax mode and the buzz seems to have gone after power cycle of telo.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:06 pm

workaround that works on my telo handsetI have had the Telo handset since November and have had my original handset replaced only to get a new one with the same buzzing noise. Today, by mistake I found a workaround that works on my telo handset. I placed a Kleenex that was folded in half then in half agian and placed it between my ear and the phone. The buzz was gone, and I could still hear the other person clearly. I am wondering if others can reporduce this low tech fix. If in fact it does work, then manybe its a hardware issue rather then a software issue. I feel a little silly posting this, but it works for me.

Trekster

Post by Trekster » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 pm

I just installed my new Telo today. I have one cordless phone and two corded phones on my house wiring. Calling and receiving calls seems to work okay, but I do experience a slight hum or "buzz" that is always there. It is on all three of the phones on my house wiring. I have disconnected the POTS at the box on the side of the house, so that is not the problem. I wonder if anyone from Tech Support is monitoring this thread.

I agree, it sounds like perhaps the filtering on the little power supply is not adequate. I wonder how common place this problem is, and what might be done about it.
New Ooma Telo user - hoping for the best, since I've already tried two of the worst... MJ and TK6000

Trekster

Post by Trekster » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 pm

dsinternet wrote:workaround that works on my telo handsetI have had the Telo handset since November and have had my original handset replaced only to get a new one with the same buzzing noise. Today, by mistake I found a workaround that works on my telo handset. I placed a Kleenex that was folded in half then in half agian and placed it between my ear and the phone. The buzz was gone, and I could still hear the other person clearly. I am wondering if others can reporduce this low tech fix. If in fact it does work, then manybe its a hardware issue rather then a software issue. I feel a little silly posting this, but it works for me.
I'm not using a Telo Handset. And I'm hearing it on all three of the phones connected to my wiring.
New Ooma Telo user - hoping for the best, since I've already tried two of the worst... MJ and TK6000

richalger

Post by richalger » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:53 pm

We just got our new telo on 3/2/10. We also heard this buzzing or humming sound. I went to my.ooma.com, preferences tab, phone number, double clicked it and selected "fax mode" and saved. I rebooted my Telo allowing it to stay off for 30 seconds. The buzzing sound went away. Now there is nearly no noise on the corded handset and slight static on the cordless ones.

Both phones are hooked directly to the Telo. We have not yet disconnected my house wiring from our landline provider. Thanks so much for this post.

wildbill

Post by wildbill » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Hello Everyone --

Im a new OOMA customer and had the hum issue too. I found that if I moved the wall power supply for the telo the hum would fade in and out so I thought maybe if I take it off the floor that might help and bingo! no more humming. its gone..

It was plugged into a power strip on the floor..

I used some duct tape and an AC ext cord and stuck the telo wall pwr supply to the top back of the desk away from the telo and it seem to take the hum away. I also have it plugged into a UPS. Try moving the wall pwr supply when your on the phone and see if you can tell if it fades in and out. if so you maybe able to find a place for it that won't cause the hum. Im using the one that came with the telo thats easy to unplug from the unit. Not sure if the ones OOMA send us to replace these are any better dealing with the humming noise or not.. Anyone out there with the replacment wall pwr supplys for the telo have the humming noise?..

--Bill