Call Quality/Echo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ram104
Call Quality/Echo

Post by ram104 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Hello,
I'm new to Ooma and love it, but have a question regarding how people on the other end hear me.
I have Comcast as a internet provider and have hooked up my Ooma hub directly to the modem and then to the router which is an apple airport extreme.
The model of my cable modem is a Linksys BEFCMU10 ver3 and I did a speed test which is:
http://speed.io/pics/1713/7258/speed.io.png
if that link dosen't work the d/l 4144 and u/l 372
When I call people they complain of echoing and some crackling.
Any suggestions.
Thanks.

murphy

Re: Call Quality/Echo

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Did you log into the ooma hub and change the upstream Qos number to match what your Comcast upload speed is supposed to be? It defaults to 384.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

inrame

Post by inrame » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:17 pm

you might want to experiment with different QoS settings. this article http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/al/126 ... 1450&bt=4n indicates best results are achieved at setting about 20% below u/l speed. everyone's situations is a little different partly due to variations of speed throughout the day.

ram104

Post by ram104 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 pm

The upstream is set at 384 and the downstream says 0.
Also if I may add to my original post. Comcast tells me I should be getting downloads up yo 15mbs, but really its about 4mbs. Where I have an older cable modem, Linksys BEFCMU10 Ver3, do you think a different cable modem would achieve better speeds or no.
Again thanks.

d/l=4111 kbs
u/p=315 kbs

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:07 am

Have you power cycled your cable modem recently? That is required to get it to be reconfigured by Comcast for your current speed plan. My Comcast speed measurement, using the same site, is 24000 down and 3400 up.
The measurement was taken with my router connected to the Home port of the ooma hub. I set my upstream speed to 3000 in the ooma hub.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:53 am

ram102 wrote:Where I have an older cable modem, Linksys BEFCMU10 Ver3, do you think a different cable modem would achieve better speeds or no.
The main difference between the v3 and v4 is shipped firmware and diagnostic info. The v3 is shipped with a DOCSIS 1.1 firmware; upgradeable to 2.0. It is stingy on diagnostic info.

The v4 is shipped with a DOCSIS 2.0 firmware. It provides full diagnostic info. Provisioning info is a selling feature for most people. Performance wise, the v3 performs as well as the v4.

Only an ISP can update the firmware. Updating is an automated process as needed. Even though the modem is upgradable to DOCSIS 2.0 (if it is not there yet), doesn't mean the ISP will upgrade it.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

ram104

Post by ram104 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks for the info Soundjudgment. I ended up asking Comcast to send a refresh to my modem and with a power cycle my download speed doubled, but I still only get 374 on the upload. I did change my upstream setting on ooma to 320. Again the only problem is when I call someone or someone calls me they here a static only in my voice when I talk on there end. So I went to my mothers house who has Verizon and called my wife at home and the call is clear, but there is a slight crackle in her voice when she tallks almost like when you have the volume on you tv or ipod too loud. When no one talks it is clear. Any ideas.
Again thanks for everyone help.

ram104

Post by ram104 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm

So, does anyone know what there is a static on the other persons end when I talk, but I don't hear it on my end?

toyotaisme

Post by toyotaisme » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:24 pm

I had this problem. I have a Panasonic phone with 2 handsets that connect to it. I had it plugged in to the scout and when I called someone they herd static.

The way I fixed it is I plug in the phone to the main unit and the problem got fixed.

Hopes this helps

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:13 am

ram102 wrote:Thanks for the info Soundjudgment. I ended up asking Comcast to send a refresh to my modem and with a power cycle my download speed doubled, but I still only get 374 on the upload. I did change my upstream setting on ooma to 320.
To have a major cable-internet provider such as Comcast deliver only enough bandwidth on the upload side to get you 374 these days is SEVERELY limited. Most of their customers typically get allocated 2 Megs upload these days. This is one concern for why your calls are so sparse in service quality, but there could be other issues as well. I would call them back and question the reason they cannot offer you more bandwidth or if there are any modem issues with the one you are using. You might still need to change that modem to a new model to take advantage of all the speed they now have on that network.

Hint: Don't tell them that this is all due to your not having enough bandwidth for VoIP services. If you do, they will hound you to forget ooma or any other, and get their own 'Digital Voice' service instead. Phooey on that high-priced idea. ;)
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>