horrible screeching static sound

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
dethtrain
horrible screeching static sound

Post by dethtrain » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:31 pm

I bought the device Wednesday night and set up pretty quickly. Called a few people and had a few calls come in. Sound quality was great, same as the cable phone service. Yesterday I hit the play button on the device, and the voice that tells you how many voicemails you have, came in very distorted and with heavy static and screeching sounds. I really didn't think much of it, until I picked up the phone to talk from it and I had very heavy static on the line. It was really bad.

Not sure what to do for troubleshooting reasons. The phone works fine when I plug it back into my modem, then there is static again when putting back into ooma device.

Help!

murphy

Re: horrible screeching static sound

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:43 pm

You are going to have to provide detailed information about how all of your equipment is connected for anyone to help you figure this out. I assume that by "The phone works fine when I plug it back into my modem" you mean you have phone service from your cable company. How are the cable modem, ooma, router, telephone set, and wall jacks connected together?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dethtrain

Post by dethtrain » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:01 pm

yea, current service is with the cable company.
I have the modem->Ooma->router->computer. And then the phone is hooked directly into the phone slot on the OOMA

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:14 pm

Is the voicemail lady distorted if the phone is not connected to the ooma hub?

I assume from your description that you have nothing connected to the wall jack on the ooma hub.

Log into the ooma hub (http://setup.ooma.com), go to the Advanced page and set the Quality Of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): to about 80% of what your cable company says that your upload speed is. It defaults to 384.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dethtrain

Post by dethtrain » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:48 pm

changed it to 4k since my upload is somewhere around 5k. Lady was still distorted when I unplugged the phone. It was working good first day. Wonder what happened? I should probably just exchange it for another

dethtrain

Post by dethtrain » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:20 am

well I spent about an hour with tech support. They tried but we couldn't get rid of the static. They escalated my ticket but I havn't heard from them yet. I am going to best buy and exchange it for another one. if this second one doesn't work then that's it!

oomg

Post by oomg » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 am

dethtrain wrote:yea, current service is with the cable company.
I have the modem->Ooma->router->computer. And then the phone is hooked directly into the phone slot on the OOMA
First: Try wiring IP connection to modem, then to router (if they are separate); wire E-cable from one port on the router to "modem" port on back of Hub (leaving "home" port on back of Hub empty); wire separate E-cable from separate port on router directly to computer. Then attach phone unit to "phone" jack on the back of the Hub. Then connect power supply and see what happens.

Second: Posted to another thread by Crazypinoy9:
Crazypinoy9 wrote:So I was searching the web for anyone else outside of this forum that are having problems with ooma and I ran into this:

http://www.voipmechanic.com/phoneandvoicequality.htm

It's not specific to ooma but might be able to give some of you things to test and mess around with. Hope this helps someone!
Thanks Crazypinoy9.

oomg
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.