Disconnecting calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
tomp
Disconnecting calls

Post by tomp » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:51 am

Has this happen to anyone else? I have had this system for about a year and recently there have been several instances when I call in to a 800, 866 conference call number and during the call I get the OOMA dial tone. I can call back in and everything seems okay until OOMA voicemail cuts in saying something like the 'message time has been exceeded'. Everyone on the call can hear this and the conference call conversation is being recorded as if a message is being left for me. So I hang up and call back in on my cell phone and this is really strange. I get the OOMA answering machine saying the person isn't available , leave a message or some such thing and everyone on the call can hear that too. I can only assume at this point that it will start to record the conversations again as messages for me. So I hang up again and don't call back in.

It seems like the OOMA system is holding a lock on the conference call in number after it hangs up on me the first time and then when I call in the second time. I have a feeling if anyone called into that number any time after OOMA is recording a message in voice mail they would get the same thing as when I called in on my cell phone, namely, the persons isn't available, leave a message.......

I am losing faith in using this system during important calls.

wredden

Re: Disconnecting calls

Post by wredden » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Similar situation with me.
The first time this happened to me was on a conference call last Friday. This call was an 866 call.
1. I'm on a call and my phone disconnected for no reason.
2. When I called back in to the conf call, my voice mail was activated and began recording the conf call.
3. After 299 seconds, the ooma voice mail lady would make a standard announcement. ( I know this because I have voice mails sent to my email.)
4. Silence on the call. Then some smart a** comments from others on the call. Continued conversation. Then, the voice mail lady makes her standard announcement. This time it was funny. In an attempt to reset the call, everyone on the call hung up, myself included, and then called back in. No change in the voice mail loop. With each consecutive loop, the frustration level for all increase on the call. Embarrassing for me to say the least.
5. Repeat the 299 voice mail loop for approx. 20 minutes. Each time, more frustration.
6. I thought if I just hung up on the conference call, it would at least stop for the others. No luck. I found out by others after the call finished that during the last half hour of the call, even though I wasn't on the call, the voice mail loop continued for the remainder of the call.... WT*?

Today, I was on a simple conference call, one when you use the conf call function on your phone, and it happened a second time. In this case, repeat steps 1, 2, 3, and 4. This time however, we all hung up, waited a couple of minutes, then called each other again. This time it didn't repeat. This is a little less concerning because it was just three of us and were not a 866 conf call.

Like tomp, if there isn't a solution to this problem soon, I'm going to have no choice but to search for a new VOIP solution. I cannot continue to have this problem, money savings or not.

I've used my Ooma Hub only since September 2009 without any problems while using a cable high speed internet source (10MB/S) and a Plantronics Calisto Pro phone.

russellblogan

Post by russellblogan » Tue May 04, 2010 9:00 am

I have this same problem with disconnecting calls and dropped calls described exactly as tomp. The first time was an internal conference call but the second time with with an outside business partner. This was very embarrassing!

This is unacceptable. If these boards are monitored please post some sort of acknowledgement of the issue. I'm in Arlington, Va and was on a conference bridge by Go-To-Meeting both times. Happened on May 3rd at 10:30a EDT and May 4th at 11:45a EDT.

kjacobs454

Post by kjacobs454 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Same issue here. I currently have a ticket open with ooma support on this. I'd suggest everyone experiencing these issues do the same as they are not yet acknowledging this as a "known issue".

I wholly agree that if I have to play ooma roulette every time I dial into a conference call with upper management or clients this service becomes useless to me... :!:

SirFreaknGroovn

Post by SirFreaknGroovn » Fri May 14, 2010 10:49 am

Cross posting to another thread, it seems this is a bug (bug 8494) .
link follows:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=10

corpdoc

Post by corpdoc » Fri May 14, 2010 4:54 pm

My Ooma disconnects without warning every 7 - 8 minutes, mostly during normal business house - especially during business calls :o There isn't even a disconnect sound, but suddently the Ooma dial tone. If this persists, the system becomes unusable. Does anyone have experience with a more reliable alternative?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 14, 2010 10:03 pm

corpdoc wrote:My Ooma disconnects without warning every 7 - 8 minutes, mostly during normal business house - especially during business calls :o There isn't even a disconnect sound, but suddently the Ooma dial tone. If this persists, the system becomes unusable. Does anyone have experience with a more reliable alternative?
There could be other factors but whenever I see someone having call quality issues, I suggest that they look into their internet service quality:

VoIP Quality Test:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

If cable modem, take a look at modem status:

http://192.168.100.1

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV.
The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.
The SNR should be 35 or more.

rxnb90

Post by rxnb90 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Same thing is happening to me -calls are repeatedly dropping. Running the ISP test, all results show "green" status. I think this is on the Ooma side, not the ISP side.

barrmy

Post by barrmy » Wed May 19, 2010 6:04 am

this has been getting worse and worse for me as well - i use ooma in my home office and i'm very close to cancelling service

i've had the voicemail issue happen to me more than four times in 800/866 conference bridges....NEVER had an issue like this until two weeks ago...

then yesterday i had over 12 dropped calls in a single day in conference bridges, altho the voicemail didn't kick in...happened again this morning - same as corpdoc and another thread by whinis from yesterday

my settings are fine, easy for ooma to try and blame on the ISP - these aren't call quality problems, it's clearly some loss of signal that's forcing the call to drop

*edit to state i'm on a ooma hub*

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 9774272 bps
Upload speed: 5619424 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 23 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 46 ms
Average round trip time to server: 47 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 35200000bps
Route concurrency: 3.6012912
Download TCP forced idle: 70 %
Maximum route speed: 11397384bps

imarollingstone

Post by imarollingstone » Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 am

This just started happening to me as well on conference calls. I'm getting dropped frequently I also had the issue with the conference call being routed to my voice mail - it is very odd since I was not the host of the conference. Hopefully, they will find a solution as this is not acceptable.