Disconnecting calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
bickyb
Re: Disconnecting calls

Post by bickyb » Wed May 19, 2010 7:29 pm

*99 did not work for me on my Telo. I am still dropping on my conference call in number unfortunately.

jerrygno

Post by jerrygno » Thu May 20, 2010 7:29 am

This disconnect issue is also affecting me when I dial 866 and 877 numbers. Drops after 10-20 seconds. This started 3 days ago for me but I was not around last week. I think I'll call in and add my name to the "conference call" problem.

iamhives

Post by iamhives » Thu May 20, 2010 8:14 am

Same problem here - dropped calls on 8XX conference numbers. Started about 3 days ago. ISP is FIOS and have 35/35 service so its not bandwidth and quality of internet connection is good.

OOMA has been stable for me up until now. This unreliability makes Ooma useless to me.

billpetra

Post by billpetra » Thu May 20, 2010 11:20 am

I have been having many sporatic disconnects over the last 2 days. Prior to this no problems in months. Not sure what changed. At first I thought it may have been related to my local IP or router issues, but I checked those and all is fine. I had 97% quality on the tests linked earlier in the post. So Will look to OOMA to provide help.

imarollingstone

Post by imarollingstone » Thu May 20, 2010 12:14 pm

I've done some experimentation, my conference numbers have non 800 numbers available. When I use the normal numbers for the same conference I have no issues at all. My conference calls are typically 877 numbers. I dialed an 877 number for a call I was hosting and the phone disconnected within 2 minutes. When dialing the non 877 number, there is no issue at all.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Sounds like some service providers out there aren't playing nice. I've read that whenever you dial a toll free number, ooma gets paid......maybe...just maybe.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7758&p=55338#p55338

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu May 20, 2010 2:28 pm

lbmofo wrote:I've read that whenever you dial a toll free number, ooma gets paid.
And I've heard that whenever a bell rings, an angel gets his wings! Maybe that's why my cell phone sometimes rings when nobody's there?

Good job, Clarence!

Image :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Thu May 20, 2010 3:05 pm

lbmofo wrote:Sounds like some service providers out there aren't playing nice. I've read that whenever you dial a toll free number, ooma gets paid......maybe...just maybe.
Ooma gets paid, but assuming the 800 number provider is profit motivated, they usually get paid *more* by their customer, enough to cover the termination fees paid to Ooma. It wouldn't really help them if their customer got upset and dropped the 800 line because it wasn't working out well with some of the people calling in.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 20, 2010 5:51 pm

southsound wrote:
lbmofo wrote:I've read that whenever you dial a toll free number, ooma gets paid.
And I've heard that whenever a bell rings, an angel gets his wings! Maybe that's why my cell phone sometimes rings when nobody's there?

:P
Are you saying it ain't true? :)
sfhub wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Sounds like some service providers out there aren't playing nice. I've read that whenever you dial a toll free number, ooma gets paid......maybe...just maybe.
Ooma gets paid, but assuming the 800 number provider is profit motivated, they usually get paid *more* by their customer, enough to cover the termination fees paid to Ooma. It wouldn't really help them if their customer got upset and dropped the 800 line because it wasn't working out well with some of the people calling in.
Makes sense. In any case, interconnect problems with Toll Free service providers for sure?

jalauer

Post by jalauer » Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm

I have been experiencing disconnects where suddenly I hear the Ooma dial tone. It has happened a few times over the last month but has become frequent the last several days while on 877 conference calls--very frustrating and unprofessional. After several retries with my boss and others waiting for me on a call on Thursday, I switched to my mobile phone and all was well.

Ooma support had me go through Internet speed and jitter tests--all was very good. The tech had me change the upstream bandwidth to use more of the available bandwidth. This did not correct the problem.

I did encounter one disconnect this afternoon to other than an 8xx number. In this case, I was calling a colleague using a Cisco VOIP phone. There was no answer so I ended up in voice mail. As I was leaving a message, a disconnect occurred.

I have subsequently performed a number of controlled tests and have discovered that when connected to my 8xx conference service, a disconnect will occur when there is no sound coming from other call participants for what looks to be exactly 30 seconds. I can keep the disconnect from occurring by speaking simply one word on a participant line every several seconds. I suspect that as long as a sound occurs within 30 seconds the disconnect will not occur, but I didn't continue the experiment to observe this. Sound from my line to the con call is not sufficient to prevent the disconnect.

This observation is consistent with my experience on conference calls. When there is constant conversation among participants, no disconnect has occurred. When I have the "conference floor" and talk without interruption, I soon encounter the disconnect. This is also consistent with the disconnect that occurred when leaving the voice message to the non-8xx VOIP number mentioned earlier

I experimented with calls to my Verizon Blackberry Storm2. No disconnects occurred when there were long periods of silence from the mobile phone.

I speculate that the problem occurs when the other end of the connection is a digital voice system, VOIP if you please, as opposed to a traditional POTS (plain old telephone service) . It may be that with a connection to POTS devices, there is a constant stream of TCP packets from the POTS to Ooma and these packets reset some kind of Ooma idle session timer. But perhaps with a VOIP participant, no packets are sent when the participant is silent--a bandwidth optimization technique. This could result in the supposed idle session timer reaching a limit which appears to be 30 seconds. This could then cause Ooma to drop the call. Again, this is speculation, but an explanation that fits my observations.

I will call Ooma support when they open on Friday morning to report my findings. I too need a fix soon or will have to leave Ooma for something sufficiently reliable for business use.