Disconnecting calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Daghis
Re: Disconnecting calls

Post by Daghis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 am

Is there any official update to this, or perhaps any other positive experiences from others?

I've switched to using the regular toll number for my conference calls since this had been limited to toll-free numbers, but even then, I still got disconnected during my call this morning after 15 minutes. Fortunately, after connecting back in, I didn't hear my Ooma voicemail greeting haunting me.

marks

Post by marks » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Mine has been working flawlessly since they announced the fix a couple of weeks ago and I spend anywhere up to 5 hours a day on phone meetings. I wish it had not taken as long as it did, but the fix seems like the correct one. And I would be OK with just a dropped call, as long as that voicemail message does not disrupt the rest of the meeting; very embarrassing when that happened 2 times.

CMguy

Post by CMguy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Mine seems to be working fine as well (fingers crossed). But, really, would it be too much to ask for the "help desk" to blow out an e-mail to those who were added to the ticket(s) on this issue stating that the problem is resolved? Support was roundly beat up in prior posts for communication to the users and I must agree. There are at least 3 strings in the "support forum" related to this issue and if I'd not been proactive in poking around in this area to see what I could find, I'd still be wondering a) what the problem is and b) if it had been resolved.

Lilly's_Closet

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:18 pm

I just did a 6 & ½ hour conference call without issue. Also I received an email for their support department on Friday stating that the issue reported on my ticket was resolved. Maybe it was in response to your posting, hopefully ooma support and communication channels to their customer base will improve over time.

whkana

Post by whkana » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Ooma just dropped 2 calls consecutively for me - one dropped in about 15 minutes, and the second one dropped by 2:30. Called tech support, ran pingtest.com, and the jitter was all over the map (1 ms to 20 ms, mostly about 9ms), but when I ran http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html, jitter dropped below 1ms - usually about 0.1~0.4 ms.)

This is with a steady 2.5mbps down / 400kbps up.

According to http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html, my voip's QOS is mostly Green /94~99% (3 out of 5) /or "yellow" / 60% (2 out of 5)

In any case, Ooma blamed it on the AT&T modem. After calling AT&T, and got transferred to 5 different people (dropped call on a landline, no less), AT&T has agreed to shipped a new modem (per Ooma's suggestion as a fix to lower the jitter to below 5 ms).

I was just wondering: did I just spend a whopping 90 minutes trying fix Ooma's BS? Or is there really an issue with DSL's jitter?

Daghis

Post by Daghis » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:10 pm

I occasionally get dropped calls (perhaps one call out of 6-10 or so), and I'm running on FiOS with a 25/25 Mbps connection. According to the whichvoip.com page you linked, my jitter is only 0.5 ms with packet loss of 0%.

The disconnecting symptom is odd, though. I was on a conference call where each caller is announced to the group when they arrive and leave. After getting disconnected, I called back in immediately and heard my name as having joined the conference. Five minutes after that, I then heard my name as having left the conference. It would seem that my disconnected call remained connected to the conference bridge for five minutes after my Ooma Hub had disconnected the call. That seems quite odd.

My experience with calling Ooma's technical support has not been positive, instead getting rote instructions about restoring the Hub to factory settings or otherwise taking a wait-and-see attitude to see whether the problem recurs. I'm a bit reticent to call them when the problem occurs next, but the more common issue is that I'm in the middle of a call when it does happen, so I can't take the time right then to call support and see what they suggest. I should give them a try again the next time it occurs.

whkana

Post by whkana » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:33 pm

imarollingstone wrote:I've done some experimentation, my conference numbers have non 800 numbers available. When I use the normal numbers for the same conference I have no issues at all. My conference calls are typically 877 numbers. I dialed an 877 number for a call I was hosting and the phone disconnected within 2 minutes. When dialing the non 877 number, there is no issue at all.
My drop-call problems are ALL with non-800/866/8xx pre-fixes. It's been happening sporadically for months, but it just got really bad today - twice in a row. That's when I just switched to my cell....

This is really getting irritating reading all these posts which indicate either Ooma's not willing, or not knowing how to fix this problem.

whkana

Post by whkana » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Bobby B wrote:As of 15 min ago, all the servers have been upgraded with the fix for bug 8494 (sometimes calls disconnect on conferences) and bug 8492 (sometimes voicemail prompt loops if the remote party doesn't hangup).

Please let us know if you experience any further dropped calls on conference calls (please note the called number, date/time).
The Problem is "not" fixed. Two dropped calls consecutively. Both non-8xx numbers.

And to quote someone else earlier - Ooma was "not" free - we had to pay to get device for the service in the first place.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:23 pm

I don't experience any of this so I have a hard time grasping. So I think the best thing for you to do is to jot down the area code, prefix, date, time of each incident and see if one of the guys from ooma on here can help you look into it.

ooma_user00

Post by ooma_user00 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:30 pm

has this issue (8494) been corrected? afraid to use ooma again during conference calls, and my cell phone bill is piling up! would appreciate a feedback from the ooma tech support. thanks in advanced.