Dropped Calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
t4feb
Dropped Calls

Post by t4feb » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:57 am

Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with dropped calls. It seems to happen to me around the same time in the evening and that would be 5:30 or there about. I will be talking and out of the blue the call just drops and I hear the dial tone. I end up calling right back and it does go through but this could end up being a pain if talking business or any other important call. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks
Terry

trim81

Re: Dropped Calls

Post by trim81 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:32 pm

is your internet connection dropping?>?

I never recieved a dropped call with my ooma...never

static and echo yes, but never a drop call

t4feb

Post by t4feb » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 am

My internet is fine I am running cable internet and things seem to be fine on that end. I had 2 more dropped calls yesterday one after the other within 5 minutes apart. Its strange. I really don't know what would be causing it unless it has something to do with the 10 digit dialing. The strange thing about it is one minute I'm talking and the next there is a dial tone. I end up having to dial the number back only to hear what happen.
I would say I don't know (Can you hear me now) LOL.
Terry

brwilliams

Post by brwilliams » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:52 pm

I recently purchased ooma for my 88 year old mother. She has been complaining to me that her calls are getting dropped. I did not know how seriously to take the problem until I was speaking with her and the call dropped three times in a row. The first call lasted 4 minutes, the second 2 and then the last one about 30 seconds. I also have the system and have never had this problem until my call to her. I sent an email to tech support several days ago and have not gotten a reply yet.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Does she have DSL internet service? If so, make sure that the DSL modem is configured to always keep the connection alive.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

brwilliams

Post by brwilliams » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:09 pm

murphy wrote:Does she have DSL internet service? If so, make sure that the DSL modem is configured to always keep the connection alive.
Yes, she has the same dsl service plan that I have and the dsl is always live.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Log into the DSL modem and verify that the box is checked that prevents the modem from disconnecting during periods of inactivity. Every DSL modem I have ever seen defaulted to not having the box checked.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kinorob

Post by kinorob » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:19 pm

I have been having the same problem. I am using Time Warner cable's road-runner service, and my Internet hasn't been experiencing any problems lately.

I usually get 6 Mb down and about 340 Kb up. I am in the Raleigh, NC area.

I just wanted to speak up and let people know the problem isn't only with DSL customers.

I was just on the phone and had the call dropped 3 times within 10 minutes. It's quite annoying, and a bit of a startle to be talking and suddenly hear a dial tone.

tommies

Post by tommies » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:16 am

My router has 3 option:
always-on *
manual
connect-on-demand

and I use always-on. It's been a long time so I don't remember what it was the default selection on the router when I first set it up. I does not hurt if you checking out your router setup. If it is not always-on, change it and see if it solves the drop call.

Any hiccup on your internet connection will result in drop calls, but it should not happen consistently.
tommies

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:17 pm

There is more to it than that. Just because you have a fast speed up and down doesn't mean your router can control the stream of traffic. To use VoIP you need to produce a steady stream of data.

Check modem/router to see if you have an always on connection or if it is set to on demand. Setting should be to always on.

Second, check the QoS setting and run a VoIP test to determine how well you can transmit and receive data to and from the test server.

Generally speaking, If you lower the QoS engine setting by 80% you will vastly improve connections and quality.

Just like any other data transmission its link vs noise.

It could be cable, it could be DSL users and even FOIS.