Round 3......Help!

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ram104
Round 3......Help!

Post by ram104 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:04 am

I had e-mailed ooma before. The issue I am having is when people call me at home on there end my voice sounds scratchy like cell phone quality, but on my end its clear. I have my QoS set at 1500 upstream 0 downstream. Is it necessary to also set the downstream or no. I am using comcast cable and have great speeds. Here are the results of my test: 25387 kb/s download 1812 kb/s upload.
On whichvoip.com the results are all green expect quality of service its yellow sometimes red and rages around 60%. Here is a text version of those result Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5069536 bps
Upload speed: 2029864 bps
Quality of service: 59 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 70 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 99 ms
Average round trip time to server: 100 ms

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Number of supported VoIP lines: 34
Estimated MOS score: 4.3

dlong

Re: Round 3......Help!

Post by dlong » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:26 am

Your bandwidth is quite good. You must have DOCSIS 1.1 which shouldn't give you any bandwidth issues. I'd try bringing the Upload setting up a little. I have also found good results when setting and tweaking a Download setting instead of wide open (0).

My preferable next step would be to try the ooma placement before and after the router and tweak the settings for both. I'd also do the measurements for both conditions again. If you have a Linksys router with DRT/WRT installed or equivalent, use the settings in it instead if ooma is behind the router.

Hope this helps.

runagun

Post by runagun » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm in the same league with ur speeds but only have Ooma set at 384 on upload. I would suggest lower ur upload to that amount and see if it helps. Because of ur internet speeds I wouldn't put the Ooma In between the Modem and Router cause In my experience it cut in half my internet download speed.

ram104

Post by ram104 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:32 pm

I am at DOCSIS 2.0 and I have the following setup Linksys cable modem>ooma>Apple Extreme Wireless Router.
I did a few speed tests and get the following resuts:

When I fool around with the QoS I leave the downstream at 0, and the upstream at 1375 because ooma suggests to take you upload results and drop it by 10-20%.
I can only assume that when I talk to people from my ooma device to there land line its affects the upload and when they talk to me that affects the download.
So you think I should drop the upload speed down and put a limit on the downstream from 0 to what?
My internet download speeds are not affected by having the ooma device between the modem and router.
Again its just when people hear me talk on there end they here the crackly voice like cell phone quality, but my end it crystal clear.

raghuooma

Post by raghuooma » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:26 pm

Most likely this is not a QoS on the device related issue. You could just connect the device to the router and you wouldn't notice a difference.

In my case, this problem varies from extremely bad to ok. Always depends on Comcast network quality. My area (and may be many others) seem to affected by this fluctuating delays in Comcast. It is being discussed at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r220235 ... an-Jose-CA . It is possible that you are facing similar issue.

I too am wondering what to do about this. Strictly it does not seem to be Ooma's fault, but what is the use of keeping unusable product?. Voip systems like Ooma seem to be at the mercy of the underlying network. Surprisingly Skype seems to work fine (a cousin of mine uses it) even when Ooma does not in my case. I don't know how Skype works around such uneven network. It would be great if someone could explain. If there are enough resources and will, Ooma could always improve their codecs to be more tolerant of network delays.

I am still hoping Comcast fixes the issue soon in my case. Basically whichvoip.com test should not have any "red" results. Apparently Comcast is working on the issue.

dlong

Post by dlong » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Agreed. Bandwidth and also Qos have nothing to do with packet loss and packet delay. I have plenty of bandwidth but am seeing 30-40% jitter and thus hearing major constant crackling, distortion, and sometimes echo. I'm pondering I just may transfer from my current broadband ISP provider.