Scout static any fix?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Bill D
Re: Scout static any fix?

Post by Bill D » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:12 am

roadshow wrote:I totally agree.
In fact, in thinking about it more, fixing the Scout bugs would likely generate more profit for Ooma than the sale of the original Hub/Scout did.

Premier is a gift that keeps on giving. Money talks. Greed is good. If any Ooma folks read this - please forward it to your CFO. Maybe he'll be the inside champion for a Scout bug fix.

Bill

LetterK

Post by LetterK » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Wow, I just logged in after not checking this forum for about 6 months ago. Some things never change.

I made a strong attempt to solve this issue and went through 2 RMA units. It never got better and the tech thought it could be interference with the power plug. But then again, he acted like he never heard of the issue and a year ago when I tried to solve this problem there were posts about the static on the scout almost everyday.

My guess is they couldn't fix it and they didn't try because the Core/Scout combo wasn't making them much money. The goal was to get most of us upgraded to Telo. I might have been willing to fork over the $350 at the time for the Lifetime Premiere service, but I didn't want to have SunRocket happen to me again.

The Scout isn't that necessary anyways if you hook the system up to your home wiring.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:05 pm

LetterK wrote:Some things never change.
I recall suffering together with our Scout static back then. Since that time, I can't complain about my Hubs without Premier.

Bill D

LetterK

Post by LetterK » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Nope works fine for me. I have nothing more feature-wise than I had before Ooma, but I've made it through a year without paying for phone service.

Looks like I'm about $360 better off than my cable phone service I had prior. All is all, the product is pretty good.

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:48 pm

I've been using OOMA for several months. People have been telling me that it sounds like I have static on my line. I finally got around to leaving myself some recordings on my voicemail system and sure enough, whenever I use the line that is connected to my Scout, I have noise that sounds like static. I tried directly connecting the HUB and Scout through a short phone wire & moved the 5.8ghz cordless phone base station 5 feet away from the HUB and Scout. While the static isn't quite as bad, it is clearly still present.

Is there a way to solve this problem, or should I give up on trying to get acceptable sound quality on the second line? Thanks!

Marc

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Wed May 11, 2011 6:53 pm

marcaronson408 wrote:Is there a way to solve this problem, or should I give up on trying to get acceptable sound quality on the second line?
I eventually gave up trying. Seems to be inherent in the Scout. I use two Hubs without Premeir for my two lines.

Bill

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Bill D wrote:
marcaronson408 wrote:Is there a way to solve this problem, or should I give up on trying to get acceptable sound quality on the second line?
I eventually gave up trying. Seems to be inherent in the Scout. I use two Hubs without Premeir for my two lines.

Bill
Hi Bill, thanks for the quick reply and the info. I've set up my new configuration and I'm going to ask people over the coming days how it sounds to them. The static is down with the two changes I outlined above, but my perception is that it is still present. The real test is what the people I am calling think. I will report back in this forum.

it's probably worth noting that moving the 5.8GHZ base station away from the hub & scout definitely made a difference.

Here is a short call I made from my scout line -
scout.mp3
This call was made from my scout line
(25.1KiB)Downloaded 333 times
Here is a short call I made from my hub line -
hub.mp3
This call was made from my hub line
(25.1KiB)Downloaded 323 times

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Wed May 11, 2011 9:02 pm

I recall doing the same as you've done. Try stretching out letters as you say them "aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbb cccccccc" and you'll hear the static clearly. Ooma recomends fax modems only on the Hub not Scout so there's a difference in the technology between them.

Bill

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Bill D wrote:Try stretching out letters as you say them "aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbb cccccccc" and you'll hear the static clearly. Bill
Bill, finally got a chance to try this -- looks like the same results. The line connected to the scout is not quite as good as the hub line, but it is still much better than what I started with. I also ran this test with a Google Voice line using an OBI100 -- my perception is that the sound quality was just slightly better than the sound quality on the hub, but there wasn't that much of a difference.

Marc

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Fri May 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Hello Marc,

If you have nonlandline config, how about bringing the scout, scout's power supply over by the hub:

-connect a phone line from the scout's wall port to the hub's wall port
-power up the scout & wait till it goes blue
-use the good phone on the hub & connect it on the scout's phone port

Any diff?