Scout static any fix?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
sccturtle
Re: Scout static any fix?

Post by sccturtle » Fri May 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Marc & Bill,

I am new to Ooma and the Scout. I have connected the hub to my router, but don't have a clue on how to set up the Scout. I do not have land-line service. Is there a simple document (for the non-tech user) that shows the configuration of the Scout with the hub?

Thanks,
NK

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri May 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Connect a telephone cable from the Wall jack of the Hub to the Wall jack of the Scout.
The Scout's tab should turn blue.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:22 pm

ntoy wrote:Hello Marc,

If you have nonlandline config, how about bringing the scout, scout's power supply over by the hub:

-connect a phone line from the scout's wall port to the hub's wall port
-power up the scout & wait till it goes blue
-use the good phone on the hub & connect it on the scout's phone port

Any diff?
Hi Ntoy.

First, thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "use the good phone on the hub & connect it on the scout's phone port". To be clear, I've already done the first two things you suggest. ie, The Scout is located a few inches from the hub and their wall ports are connect by a short 1-foot telephone cable.

Marc

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sat May 14, 2011 9:25 am

Marc,

He probably means "use a known good phone that worked well on the Hub & connect it on the Scout for your testing". I suspect you've done all that, which I also did, narrowing everything down. Everyone I called via Scout could tell the difference from the Hub calls due to the static, so I relegated the Scouts to only be used as desktop VM access devices with both my Hubs kept in the wiring closet.

After over one year, I happy with my 3 Hubs (one in in my other house) except that the measured voice delay increased from 400 ms to 650 ms around Dec 2010, which is often annoying. I'm curious how the voice delay measures on the device you're using with Google voice.

Bill

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:45 am

Bill D wrote:He probably means "use a known good phone that worked well on the Hub & connect it on the Scout for your testing".
Makes sense and yes, that is what I did.
Bill D wrote:I'm curious how the voice delay measures on the device you're using with Google voice.
How do I measure the delay?

Thanks!

Marc

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sat May 14, 2011 10:57 am

marcaronson408 wrote:How do I measure the delay?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&hilit=audacity&start=30#p67874
Pencil tap on your phone works well. Measure time between spikes.
909-390-0003 is outside of Ooma and can be called by any phone (Ooma or not) to test round-trip delay.
925-259-0082 is inside of Ooma and tests round-trip delay without going out of Ooma over a carrier.
Ping www3.ooma.com to see your round-trip Internet delay to Ooma.
I'm now measuring 100 ms ping, 400 ms to inside Ooma and 650 ms through Ooma outside to the 909 number.
Last year my "outside" measured 400 ms (my ping was 100 ms).
The 250 ms of increased delay is very noticable to me on fast-paced conversations. It doesn't seem to be as bad on every call and I'm not sure why (maybe different carriers used by Ooma on different calls or at different times).

Bill

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Bill, I am somewhat limited by the speed of my reflexes with the stopwatch buttons. Having said this, I called the 909 number from my GV and OOMA phones at the same time. I put the two handsets near each other on a desk, tapped a pen on the desk and the GV phone came back with the echo noticeably sooner than the OOMA line did. My best read is that GV is under 500MS and OOMA is closer to 800MS.

I was using 2 different phones -- A uniden 5.8ghz system and a V-Tech DECT 6.0 system. To ensure that the phones were not causing the difference in lag I swapped phones. The increased delay following the service provider, not the phone...

Marc

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun May 15, 2011 4:43 am

marcaronson408 wrote:Bill, I am somewhat limited by the speed of my reflexes with the stopwatch buttons
Marc,

Thanks - I've been very curious how that GV setup would compare with Ooma and your side-by-side "drag race" (with identical network conditions at exactly the same time) was very clever and left no doubt about the difference in delay.

This post shows how to use the free Audacity program to measure the delay (no stopwatch needed)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9569&hilit=audacity&start=30#p67874

Bill

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:06 am

OK -- that's going to make it a lot easier. I've downloaded & installed the app. Once I've finished my morning coffee (gotta have your priorities right :-)), I'll get some more exact measures.

Marc

marcaronson408

Post by marcaronson408 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:28 am

Delay on OOMA was 725MS; delay on Google Voice was 450MS. Results were repeatable across multiple tries. My OOMA and GV phone numbers are both in area code 408. Both experiments were done with the same 2-line 5.8GHZ Uniden handset so as to eliminate all other variables.

Marc