What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
lbmofo
Re: What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:42 am

For me, I notice no difference between ooma and my cell when calling this number to test echo delay.
tkeppell wrote:I found this helpful information on another website and am sharing here.

To test voice quality dial the echo back number 909-390-0003

Note: It may not ring, and no one says hello. Just wait a few seconds for it to connect, then talk and it will echo back your voice.

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Davesworld wrote:Is it pure coincidence that the complaints have all come along with PureVoice? PureVoice as we know is a packet redundancy scheme which no one in North America should need nor want. If you experience packet loss you had better call your isp. A solution looking for a problem?
Hmmm, I need to ask, What is PureVioce and how did you determine that?

Is it part of Comcast? I'm willing to try any suggestions.

Thanx.

EDIT. I just found this, which says Ooma rolled out Pure Voice a week ago. I've been having this voice delay problem since I first joined in August.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370341,00.asp

Ooma Rolls Out High-Def Voice
By: Samara Lynn

On Wednesday, Ooma announced that high-definition (HD) voice is available on its Ooma Telo system. HD voice is delivered as a component of Ooma's Pure Voice Technology.

dschmidt_2000

Post by dschmidt_2000 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Davesworld wrote:Is it pure coincidence that the complaints have all come along with PureVoice?
I have a hub/core.
Isn't the PureVoice a Telo only thing?
Dave

random

Post by random » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:53 am

I have a Telo and the audio delay makes talking difficult sometimes..
especially in a rapid conversation.. constantly stepping on each others words.. always needing to say, "sorry", "what was that"... etc! Ooma really needs to stpo developing new features and get stability and delays fixed.

dschmidt_2000

Post by dschmidt_2000 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:05 pm

BTW, My complaining on Facebook about the voice delay (in Ooma's posting about their new HD voice service), I got a reply from a Ooma rep asking for my info so they could have a service person contact me. It's been a week after they got my info and said "I would be contacted soon". I have not yet and a business week has passed.

Not a good sign.

janner

Post by janner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:19 am

Dave,
I suspect there are many more folks suffering with this awful voice delay problem, we are just not posting about it.

I started my Ooma service in early July, 2010, and initially, it was good, but not quite as good as our old land line, but acceptable. Biggest problem was drop outs and that was mostly when talking to someone on a cell phone, so it could have been them, not our Ooma Telo.

However, for the last few weeks, there's this voice delay and it has just been horrendous. I'm starting to think we are going to have to talk to people like we are on ham radios - "Hi, how are you, OVER." "We're doing well, OVER." - so that everyone knows when it's safe to answer back. This is happening on both local calls and long distance calls to various states. No one else has Ooma that we are talking to - they are on either cell phones or land lines from various carriers. It is especially a nightmare when talking to anyone on a cell phone, however.

I think it's just ridiculous. I haven't changed anything on any of my equipment since I got this all installed and my set-up is as simple as it can get. Cable modem to Ooma Telo, then to phone and computer. And 99% of the time, the computer isn't even turned on when anyone here is on the phone, so it can't be some app hogging resources. And when I set this up, to dump Bell South, I switched over to Time Warner and had a whole new install - new cable, new box, new modem, so I'd be surprised if there is a problem with any of the equipment on that end. Also using DECT 6.0 phones, as recommended.

And I've run those tests numerous times and the ranges are all good, I'm supposed to be capable of getting a very good VOIP connection. QoS in 98-99% range, 0.0% packet loss, Jitter 0.8-0.9ms, MOS score averaging 3.8-4.0.

Frankly, if I had known, I'd have to become some kind of engineer to just have a conversation, I'd have never bought this Telo. I've been spending the past few days reading this forum and the internet for solutions, running tests, looking into pinging software and reading about codecs and then I finally thought to myself, this is just nuts! All I want to do is talk with family and friends! I don't know how the engine in my car works, but I can still drive it wherever I want to go. Should be the same with a telephone! Alexander Bell must be rolling over in his grave!

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this damn Telo through the end of the year just to recoup the cost for the unit. After then, if the voice delay issues haven't been fixed by Ooma (and I'm with you, I'm firmly convinced the problem is on Ooma's end however they've got this set up), I'll be moving on to another service. At this point, I'd even be willing to crawl back to AT&T and hand them their piece of flesh every month, just to have normal, clear conversations again.

Lastly, I found Ooma's big announcement about their Pure Voice HD a bit hilarious and rather pompous. You only get HD if you and everyone you call has Ooma Telo AND THEIR handsets. Do they really think there are that many people out there using their service? And that people are going to keep signing up, much less continue to use their service, with the quality problems they are having?

I'm sorry I didn't go to Vonage, even with all the bad stuff I've been reading about them on the internet. All their problems seem to be re: billing and pushing people to buy bigger packages. I'm not reading about problems with call quality - at least they seem to have that part of the equation down.

Good luck to us all! Hope Ooma gets on this and gets it fixed soon, or I'll be saying bye-bye!
Regards,
Jan

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Lastly, I found Ooma's big announcement about their Pure Voice HD a bit hilarious and rather pompous. You only get HD if you and everyone you call has Ooma Telo AND THEIR handsets. Do they really think there are that many people out there using their service? And that people are going to keep signing up, much less continue to use their service, with the quality problems they are having?

I'm sorry I didn't go to Vonage, even with all the bad stuff I've been reading about them on the internet. All their problems seem to be re: billing and pushing people to buy bigger packages. I'm not reading about problems with call quality - at least they seem to have that part of the equation down.

Good luck to us all! Hope Ooma gets on this and gets it fixed soon, or I'll be saying bye-bye!
Regards,
Jan
I must completely agree with everything you stated.

I grievously regret paying $200+ to Amazon for the Ooma plus another $120 for "premier" service for just one year. And there's also the $5.00 month for taxes never mentioned anywhere in Ooma's fine print. And so what if I get another -- unwanted and useless -- number. It's just twice as much badness.

There's the delay that is absolutely horrible, the Ooma echo(TM) echo..., unique half-duplex transmission like WW II combat radio, and the frequent dropped calls and unintelligible sound. Not to mention the erratic outages of durations never equaled in 100 years of AT&T service.

The touted "Pure Voice HD" quality is snake oil and anyway pertains only to Telo-to-Telo connections. Wow! That's a pathetically infinitesimal market -- even if it worked.

Call quality is inferior to pre-twentieth century Bell Telephone quality. I'm sayin 1890's phones sounded better.

Ooma is not a beta product.

It's not even alpha.

It's just an early-stage prototype with lots of rag-tag implementation deficiencies.

Does anyone working for Ooma disagree? Speak up and demonstrate we're wrong.

Bill_B

Post by Bill_B » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:30 am

I'm in the same boat here. Went all in a few months ago with the Telo, 3 handsets, and even the bluetooth module. Call quality was acceptable; I always noticed a slight delay, but managed to work around it.

Now, it is practically unusable. Terrible lag, distortion, dropped calls. Man, I really thought I was going to save some cash by getting rid of my landline for what I thought was equivalent functionality. Pffft.

Ooma, please fix this.
Premier Service Level
Customer Since: 10/2010
Service/Hardware: Telo with 3 Handsets
AT&T Port: 9/1/10 - 10/08/10
Internet: Roadrunner 15 Mb / 1 Mb
Setup: Motorla SB5101 -> Zyxel USG20 -> Telo

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Maybe you guys should consider downgrading to a Hub / Scout setup. Mine sounds great. And you get more free features with the Hub.