What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
geobernd
Re: What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

Post by geobernd » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Jimwilson1014 wrote:
187 wrote:Any word from Ooma or a moderator as to when/if Ooma is implementing a fix?
Ooma has gone completely silent on this issue. I guess they think if they ignore us, we will just go away quietly.
I am close to going away quietly... Which is a bit sad.. This is the only real issue I have. I can live with iLBC (also I don't understand why not just g.711 - which sounds much cleaner) - but the latency is a killer. I switched my outbound calls back to vonage for now....

Post by 187 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:33 am

lbmofo wrote:There is related activity in the Beta forum. Some sort of update should be forthcoming.
Do you mean the Beta Feedback forum or is there an entirely different forum for beta users? If it is the Beta Feedback forum, could you provide a link? I only see 2 posts in there that have been updated in the last month and neither of them is related to voice lag. Thanks.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 am

Different forum. Related activities are ongoing.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:57 am

There is an upgrade coming to our central calling servers that should improve the delay a bit for Telo users. After the upgrade completes, we'll also send out an Ooma echo test number that you can use to measure delay. We're also still investigating different ways on how we can further decrease the round-trip voice delay.
Bobby B

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Bobby B wrote:There is an upgrade coming to our central calling servers that should improve the delay a bit for Telo users
Telo only? - - - I've noticed the call delay on my Hubs getting worse over the last month or so. Can I expect any improvement with your new fixes? Other than the increasing delay, I've a happy customer for over a year.

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Bobby B wrote:There is an upgrade coming to our central calling servers that should improve the delay a bit for Telo users. After the upgrade completes, we'll also send out an Ooma echo test number that you can use to measure delay. We're also still investigating different ways on how we can further decrease the round-trip voice delay.
Thanks. I'm genuinly looking forward to it.

But the phrase "improve the delay a bit" can be taken two ways.

That the improvement will be minimal -- the smallest amount noticeable, or
an exercise in modesty, like "We were a bit tired after completing the marathon."

I hope it's the second meaning.

matthewn

Post by matthewn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:23 am

Bobby B wrote:There is an upgrade coming to our central calling servers that should improve the delay a bit for Telo users. After the upgrade completes, we'll also send out an Ooma echo test number that you can use to measure delay. We're also still investigating different ways on how we can further decrease the round-trip voice delay.
Do you have an ETA on when this will be ready? Trying to determine if I should wait for this or return my Telo for a refund since the delay is becoming a problem for me.

ajw522

Post by ajw522 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:19 pm

I agree. I went through the Premier "Hub-to-Telo" upgrade program, which gost me $200 on top of the original Core Hub+Scout. Previously, with my Hub, I had no audio delay issues. Now, with the Telo, while it isn't a HUGE problem, the delay is noticeable and quite annoying at times when both parties begin speaking at the same time and both stop speaking at the same time....

I hope this server upgrade will fix the delay entirely. I'm a happy Ooma Customer, and I'm a huge supporter of the company (look at my signature) and I only hope that his problem gets fixed soon.
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:32 pm

ajw522 wrote:......Previously, with my Hub, I had no audio delay issues. Now, with the Telo, while it isn't a HUGE problem, the delay is noticeable and quite annoying at times...
I also, previously, with my Hub, I had no audio delay issues but now the delay on my Hub is annoying, so I'm not sure it's a Telo-related issue as your note infers. I think its related to the Ooma servers, gateways and/or carriers. I hope they fix it. The increasing delay, lately, has been my only gripe.

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Bill D wrote:
ajw522 wrote:......Previously, with my Hub, I had no audio delay issues. Now, with the Telo, while it isn't a HUGE problem, the delay is noticeable and quite annoying at times...
I also, previously, with my Hub, I had no audio delay issues but now the delay on my Hub is annoying, so I'm not sure it's a Telo-related issue as your note infers. I think its related to the Ooma servers, gateways and/or carriers. I hope they fix it. The increasing delay, lately, has been my only gripe.
I think you are correct. It's hard to comprehend how the Telo or Hub devices would buffer audio for 500 ms and more. It makes no sense to begin with and would require an obviously large buffer allocation in the device's memory to do it. "Obviously large" to anyone who cared to examine the code. It would also mean that the software developer(s) had deliberately implemented a large FIFO buffer when there is no requirement for one.

That notwithstanding, if they actually HAD implemented this amount of buffering, they would certainly KNOW about it. A half-second of audio buffering and the processing needed to implement it is absolutely not something that happens by accident.

OTOH, this delay definitely could come from server code, which is many times bigger and more complex than in the Telo or Hub. The server has to handle multiple call streams simultaneously and this means buffers and buffer management. My guess is that something is badly messed up in the buffering/scheduling functions of the server code.

This has symptoms of an implementation effort where the original developers have moved elsewhere and nobody left knows how to fix it.

But, it seems, no one really knows.