What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
lacakid
Re: What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

Post by lacakid » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:31 pm

I have an Ooma HUB and a Telio and they both are now failing with FAXES as of 10/06/2010 so that explains why, they roll out this pure voice HD CRAP! and my service goes to hell!!! Thanks Ooma! Much not appreciated!

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

There is such a thing as testing ALL your features before rolling out an upgrade, there is an
entire 4 page thread on the FAXES not working BTW!

Tom
Customer Since: 2/1/10
Service/Hardware: One Ooma Hub and Ooma Telio
Number of Lines: Two, Basic Service on both.
Internet: AT&T Uverse, 24 Meg down, 2 Meg up
Setup: AT&T Router -> Generic Switch -> Telio & Hub
Phone: RCA - 4 Line with Speakerphone

dschmidt_2000

Post by dschmidt_2000 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 pm

roadshow wrote:Maybe you guys should consider downgrading to a Hub / Scout setup. Mine sounds great. And you get more free features with the Hub.
I have the Hub/Scout and have the delay.

BTW, I got an email from Ooma tech support stating
Ooma received your contact information via one of our third party applications partners** with regard to an issue unknown. If we may know the nature of your issue, hopefully we can work to find a resolution.

Thank you kindly for your time.
I replied with all my speedtest and voiptest info afterwhich the rep replied
I did receive this after I had left for the day. Thank you for providing me with the issue. I will pass this along.
What about fixing it? What does 'pass it along' mean? How open ended is that?

dkdj5

Post by dkdj5 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:04 pm

He is giving it to real tech suppport technicians. Not just phone answerers. This is IT stuff. There are likely only a few people at the company that can really do the hard stuff.

Viejo

Post by Viejo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:48 pm

I have Comcast's VOIP phone on Line 1 and now OOMA on line 2. When I call the VOIP "repeater number" on each line, the difference between them is startling: OOMA has much more delay than COMCAST, which has a small, but detectable amount. Normal conversation on OOMA is difficult because of "stepping on" the other speaker.

If this is isn't cured soon, I plan to return my OOMA.

Viejo, Franklin, TN

gjwhitehorn

Post by gjwhitehorn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm

jhphone wrote:
southsound wrote:
To test voice quality dial the echo back number 909-390-0003
Of course, this may represent double the actual delay that your callers here as the signal travels to their equipment and is rebroadcast to send the signal back to you. Your callers don't go through the extra part of the loop.
That's an interesting point and is technically correct.
Yes, the double-delay thing would seem to make sense, but oddly enough, I observed the same amount of delay when (1) calling the echo number, and (2) calling my landline, holding each phone to each ear and speaking into one or the other. In other words, calling my landline did not result in half the delay of calling the echo number like I expected. Just for teh lulz, I called the echo number from my landline and was amazed at how fast the echo was. I also called it from my cell, and the delay was slightly shorter than my Telo. (Weird thing about that instance: after I said the first word and heard it back, nothing else I said would echo. Hung up and called back, and the same thing happened again.)

Also, the delay with my Telo seems to vary a little from call to call. Sometimes it's about the same as my cell -- other times a bit longer.

I ran that VoIP speed test thing, and all my numbers look great except for one: my download QoS was just under 50%. I wish I knew how they arrived at that number, since everything else looks so good. My upload QoS was 99%. All the lights at the end of the test were green, except for the bottom one, due to that cryptic 50% score. MOS score was 4.1, 0 packet loss, very low jitter. I'm on DSL with 3 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up, and I've set my upload speed to that in the Telo's admin page.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:58 am

gjwhitehorn wrote:Also, the delay with my Telo seems to vary a little from call to call. Sometimes it's about the same as my cell -- other times a bit longer.
That would make sense. Calls go from Ooma's network to a termination partner, where they are delivered to the PSTN phone number. I imagine Ooma uses multiple termination partners and the network connection between the network and each call will have different amounts of latency, depending on the distance traveled and the route over the Internet that the call takes to go between the two ends.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

SMH

Post by SMH » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:05 am

Just wanted to say I too am having a delay problem on my telo. Its not much but just enough to be annoying. As much as I dont want to I will be going back to comcast digital voice if I cant get this corrected.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:01 pm

We're working on analyzing similar delay issues that people have been reporting - I'll try my best to keep the thread updated on progress.
Bobby B

gjwhitehorn

Post by gjwhitehorn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Bobby B wrote:We're working on analyzing similar delay issues that people have been reporting - I'll try my best to keep the thread updated on progress.
Good to hear. The delay I'm getting makes it unsatisfactory as a replacement for our landline. I really want this system to work, because it's so cheap and has potential. I would appreciate a fix for this issue ASAP. Thanks :)

cmeisel

Post by cmeisel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:35 pm

I really wish Ooma could show more flexibility and test with users. An example would be to have the ability to pick a users telo and roll back specific changes just for him/her to see if the problem they reported here goes away. This is a great approach for problems that won't repro easily in their environment and allow to roll back changes or test new ones with only a few customers before rolling them out to everybody.
I am very surprised that Ooma doesn't seem to do that. It should be very easy to do this based on MAC addresses. We do it for our hardware and without it the quality would never be as good.

Ooma seems to just push and hope which never works unless you are such a large company that you can simulate almost every setup, location, etc (which I am sure Ooma can't do)