What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
EA PA
Re: What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

Post by EA PA » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm

I had suggested that the OOMA folk keep the users up to date at least with some of the larger issues that have been reported, maybe the status of those issues and what workarounds are available to us. I would like to see these posted maybe below the Status and Updates.

I agree that it is frustrating, no need to holler. There is definitely some tweeking involved. I was hoping for a plug-n-play, however I have realized that VOIP is not there yet. I am so close though... I had about 10% of calls locally that had some sort of issue that *99 seemed to be a decent workaround. Using *99 I am at 100% but local calls only. I have read that *98 might even be better. Ill try that and post results soon. I read that *99 is potentially making echo issues worse due to the echo cancellation algorithm being turned off - did you try turning off fax mode?

I don't do much long distance but my bride told me that *99 worked pretty well mid country. I did ping test cross country and had poor results - Mid country I did well. I need to spend some time working on this.

If I was you, I would recommend that you spend some time posting specific issues on a separate thread. There are some good technical heads in here that can walk you through some of the tribal knowledge. Its worth the effort to work through, particularly if you can get reliable enough to shed the copper ... hang in there -
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

horsecore

Post by horsecore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:15 am

mitchel wrote:I just got this response from Ooma Support and I think it's a crock of _ _ _ _!

Our engineers are currently aware of the delay problem.
No ETA for a permanent fix.
I'm still working with Ooma support for my delay issue and I have yet to receive this response. I wonder if it is coming...

The latest suggestion was to use *99, which I did and it didn't seem to make any difference. However the bigger problem is, even if *99 did correct the delay on my end, the delay would still be existent on incoming calls so in any case, it is just a band aid.
Last edited by horsecore on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 am

horsecore wrote:I'm still working with Ooma support for my delay issue and I have yet to receive this response. I wonder if it is coming...
horsecore,
I'm still at 750 ms delay, but otherwise my Ooma Hub here in California is working perfectly. Occasionally, when I test using 909-390-0003, my delay measures 400 ms instead of 750 ms. Since you and I are in the same boat, I'll post on this thread with any news or new ideas and I'll be watching for any news from you. I travel back east tomorrow and I'll test the delay using my other two Ooma Hubs at my Florida house and post the results.

Bill D

horsecore

Post by horsecore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 pm

Bill D wrote:
horsecore wrote:I'm still working with Ooma support for my delay issue and I have yet to receive this response. I wonder if it is coming...
horsecore,
I'm still at 750 ms delay, but otherwise my Ooma Hub here in California is working perfectly. Occasionally, when I test using 909-390-0003, my delay measures 400 ms instead of 750 ms. Since you and I are in the same boat, I'll post on this thread with any news or new ideas and I'll be watching for any news from you. I travel back east tomorrow and I'll test the delay using my other two Ooma Hubs at my Florida house and post the results.

Bill D
Sounds good Bill! Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

horsecore

Post by horsecore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:33 pm

horsecore wrote:
Bill D wrote:
horsecore,

Bill D
Sounds good Bill! Keep me posted and I'll do the same.
Well, I got the open-ended response....

"I had this issue forwarded to our engineers and as soon as it's fixed, you will get an email notification from us."

:(

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:42 pm

horsecore wrote:Well, I got the open-ended response....

"I had this issue forwarded to our engineers and as soon as it's fixed, you will get an email notification from us."
Well it's a start. Maybe there is something that can reduce delay back at the Ooma server end. Thunderbird said they fixed his delay problem and it is ultra low now. Time will tell. Keep us posted.

mitchel

Post by mitchel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:38 am

I think this is so lame...they know there is a problem but cannot say when it's going to be fixed!!

Sure sounds like they either don't know what the problem is or it's going to cost them a lot of money to fix it.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 am

Karl in NY wrote:
danlisman wrote:Since the original setup (with Telo after router) worked fine for months, maybe you could try a new router and go back to the original setup.
BINGO!...at least I think.

I installed a new (but identical model) router, and both phone and server have been working.

Old and new routers were Linksys WRT54GL, running Tomato firmware. I tried upgrading firmware on the existing router, and VOIP was still impossible. So, yanked it and installed an identical clone, and things are all working together presently...

So, maybe a router hardware problem from the start...or, maybe this improvement is just a teaser...
Carl In NY had both a defective Modem and Router, and at first he was sure that it wasn't his home equipment causing his VoIP problems, because it worked so well for everything else. So the lessen learned is to look at the equipment at home for VoIP defects first. If possible Borrow from a friend or relative, a modem and/or router and/or phones for testing at your location.

mitchel

Post by mitchel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:22 am

thunderbird wrote:Carl In NY had both a defective Modem and Router, and at first he was sure that it wasn't his home equipment causing his VoIP problems, because it worked so well for everything else. So the lessen learned is to look at the equipment at home for VoIP defects first. If possible Borrow from a friend or relative, a modem and/or router and/or phones for testing at your location.
Good suggestion but I just purchased a very nice modem and the same problem exists. As far as my router...I have the Telo between the modem and router so I would think it does not affect it?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:28 am

mitchel: You're probably right.

Run Speed Test a couple of times than click on the lower left hand tab, copy and post results here.

http://speedtest.phonepower.com/