What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
paladin252
Re: What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

Post by paladin252 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:09 am

i live in massachusetts in the 413 area code. on my telo, when i call my brother who is on vonage, and i quickly say "bye" it takes around 3 seconds for me to hear him say "bye." this is really slow. i have vonage as well and was testing this out to hopefully move away from vonage, and he will too if ooma starts reacting like a normal phone. i pinged www3.ooma.com and got this:

Ping statistics for 208.83.244.196:
Packets: Sent = 127, Received = 127, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 104ms, Maximum = 121ms, Average = 108ms

i know with vonage, skype, ventrilo and mumble i get no delay at all. my internet connection on comcast is 30/2.

PantherVT

Post by PantherVT » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm having the same delay problems with my ooma telo.

I did the echo test to the 909 # and got ~1020 msec echo time (450 msec with my cell).
Ping time to www3.ooma.com varies between 120 and 170 msec.

ISP is FairPoint in Vermont, ~2700 mbps up, 700kbps down.

The delay is far worse when talking to a cell than a land line or another voip phone, but still present on all conversations.

paladin252

Post by paladin252 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:43 am

i have since turned on the fax ability on my phone and it seems to be better, but the HD voice ability is gone and the sound quality sounds more like a normal phone and less rich. wish i could have it work as advertised.

matthewn

Post by matthewn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:45 am

Bobby B wrote:There is an upgrade coming to our central calling servers that should improve the delay a bit for Telo users. After the upgrade completes, we'll also send out an Ooma echo test number that you can use to measure delay. We're also still investigating different ways on how we can further decrease the round-trip voice delay.
Any update on this?

NA03

Post by NA03 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Same issue here, 900ms delay. Weirdly, only on domestic, not India calls. Need to decide by Jan 11 whether to return unit. Love it otherwise. Really in a tough spot as other providers don't have community blacklist, GVoice extensions etc. Level 1 tech support tried various QOS upload/download settings 2975/0, 2500/12000, 0/0 - nothing fixes - delay constant at 900ms. Tech pointed to high Jitter as issue: 15ms+ on pingtest.net. Otherwise have a fast connection, consistently 20Mbps down, 3.5Mbps up on speedtest.net.

Stats from the other site everyone else uses:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 8.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 18625424 bps
Upload speed: 3538632 bps
Download quality of service: 73 %
Upload quality of service: 91 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 60 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 24 ms
Average round trip time to server: 31 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 27200000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4603695
Download TCP forced idle: 38 %
Maximum route speed: 21845000bps

Do folks think upgrading to a better cable modem (Motorola Surfboard SB 6120) will help?

===
UPDATE Dec 22: got the new cable modem, called Comcast and reduced jitter to 5-7ms and ping to 33-34ms consistently; also tried reordering Telo after router; no matter what, STILL 900ms roundtrip delay to 909-390-0003. Located in California so distance to servers shouldn't be an issue, per Ooma tech support.

===
UPDATE Dec 24: with higher quality network cable from cable modem to Telo, down to 800ms roundtrip and jitter to 3-4ms. Level 2 tech support escalated to engineering but haven't heard back.
Last edited by NA03 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matchorno

Post by matchorno » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:09 pm

I finally said enough and have happily jumped to Vonage. I had a huge delay with the telo and have virtually no delay with my new Vonage. Yes, it is a little more money, but not too much, and it actually works, which is worth the extra dollars. I don't use the phone too much, so I was able to get it pretty cheap, signing up for the 500 minutes/month plan. That is more than enough for me, and it still has all the bells and whistle features. The ooma premier plan is $9.99 anyway. These premier features, you get most of them with the standard Vonage plan.

I posted a while back about ooma's fiasco in dealing with my account. Not to hash it all over again, but to sum it up real quick...I requested my porting to be canceled (within the required time) because I didn't want to commit my phone number if and until I knew the unacceptable delay would be fixed. Well, due to a circus of errors on various support/customer service staff, they never canceled it. And here's the kicker...they wouldn't refund me the $40 porting fee since the porting went through. Even though they saw all the recorded back and forth correspondence of me trying to cancel ahead of time, they said they couldn't refund it, since it already was charged and put through. There was no giving in on their part. Nonsensical!!

Now...it seems my nightmare never ends. I just took a look at my credit card bill and see 4 monthly ooma charges for $9.99/month. Where in the world does that come from? It's like they want to stick it to me or something. I'm assuming they are charging me for the premier plan (isn't that $9.99/month?). Well...I never signed up for that plan. So warning...watch out. If you don't want the premier plan, it looks like they sneakingly charge you for it unless you call them to specifically cancel after your 60-day trial. And by the way...the 60 day trial period ends 60 days after you activate it...not from the time when you port the number.

Another note...when I ported my number to ooma, my verizon automatically closed my account with them. When I ported my number from ooma to vonage...guess what...ooma continues to bill you anyway. I guess that's kind of a boo-boo on my part. I shouldn't have assumed they would behave the same as Verizon. But still...just thought it was worth noting for those who plan to jump ship as I did.

In any event...my experience with ooma has left a sour taste in my mouth. At first, the ooma idea seemed great...I was going to recommend it to all my family and co-workers. But I will now go out of my way to persuade people against signing on due to not only the technical problems, but the customer service as well. I won't be posting here anymore now that I am with Vonage. But I just wanted to share my story in case it might help others.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm curious how much echo delay you measure with Vonage using 909-390-0003 compared to Ooma and how do the ping times compare?

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:28 pm

NA03 wrote:Same issue here, 900ms delay. Weirdly, only on domestic, not India calls.
Interesting. I received a call from the UK and it was perfect! No delay. I thought I was hallucinating.

I would be grateful if someone from Ooma would respond to this ongoing problem.

Over a month ago we were taunted with this statement:
There is an upgrade coming to our central calling servers that should improve the delay a bit for Telo users. After the upgrade completes, we'll also send out an Ooma echo test number that you can use to measure delay. We're also still investigating different ways on how we can further decrease the round-trip voice delay.

Bobby B
Nothing further.

Consequently, I cannot believe that Ooma is putting any effort whatsoever into resolving this failure on their part.

ajw522

Post by ajw522 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Been experiencing delays for a while now and tested my delay....I get over 800ms with my Ooma Telo Handset. What's going on??
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:17 am

ajw522 wrote:Been experiencing delays for a while now and tested my delay....I get over 800ms with my Ooma Telo Handset. What's going on??
Yikes - - I made a call this morning at 10:47 am EST to 954-609-xxxx and the delay was the absolute worst I've experienced. I tested the delay and it was the same as you measured - 800 ms - the worst I've measured yet.

The increase in delay from 400 ms to 600 ms was painful as I've posted above, but my call at 800 ms this morning was terrible even though the voice quality was perfect.

What's up Ooma? Congratulations on your awards at CES, but some straight talk on this increasing delay problem would be greatly appreciated by many of us on this forum.