What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
PJohansson
Call Quality: End-to-End Delay Problem

Post by PJohansson » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:40 pm

It's too bad we don't have any quantitative data on the extent of the delay problem. Anecdotally, the most recent few posts report that the delay issue has been resolved by some unknown event last week. So much the better if this new behavior is both stable and systemwide.

But, if the delay problem continues to plague you and Ooma continues to be mum in this forum and elsewhere, here are the names and address:

Eric Stang, CEO
Jamie Buckley, Vice President of Customer Service
Dennis Peng, Vice President of Product Management
Toby Farrand, Vice President of Engineering Operations
Jim Gustke, Vice President of Corporate Marketing
Tim Sullivan, Vice President of Sales
Peter Scocimara, Vice President of Customer Support and Administration

Ooma Inc.
1840 Embarcadero Rd.
Palo Alto, CA 94303

If you have a serious complaint, why not start at the top?

Peter Johansson

Berkeley, CA

NA03

Re: What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

Post by NA03 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:04 pm

@Jhphone: I'm the fellow who commented earlier about domestic delays but no India delays. My domestic call delays also magically disappeared 1-2 weeks ago. I don't know if it's b/c of a better cable modem or changes on Ooma side, but am happy with the service now.

@All: My 30-day return window is up today and I decided to stay with it, mostly b/c I didn't want to hassle with configuring a Sipgate ATA adapter and dealing with any subsequent call quality issues, or incoming telemarketer calls, on that. (Sipgate is the only other main provider I know of, besides Skype, that offers outgoing cloning of Google Voice numbers, so folks always get calls from my one single number -- see this article: http://gizmodo.com/5654683/how-to-repla ... ogle-voice)

I will note that customer care was *extraordinarily* slow to escalate to level 2/level 3 tech and made it VERY difficult to solve (I repeatedly provided dates and times of calls with delays within the last week and they finally replied with a one-liner asking for calls w/in last 24 hours... as though my day job is troubleshooting Ooma delays) - so I'm glad it resolved itself. Let's hope nothing else occurs that requires support.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 am

Information Only:

Today while talking to someone on our Ooma connection, the other party was telling a story and became loud and excited. :D Whenever she talked in a very loud high pitched voice, I could hear a very slight echo and slight garble in the background.

The echo/garble sound was the sound that I’d herd before while working with other audio systems. It was the sound of an audio amplifier that was overdriving.

And there hasn't been any key pad tone noise since we installed the filter.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:58 am

thunderbird wrote:Bill D:

I just measured my delay again using the record method. It's 200ms today Jan 11, 2011.

Late addition: My cell phone measures 310ms.

The phone call quality is so much better than AT&T ever had.
Following the posts on this thread, it sure seems like there is something weird going on with delay or perceived delay or the validity of the delay test (909-390-0003). I've been on a few calls that seemed very delay-free in last few days, but ran the test again and saw 800 ms. I'll be busy for the next several days, but after that, I'll do some experimenting.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:01 pm

What delay do you measure if dial 925-259-0082 from your Ooma system?

The echo number above will only work when dialing from an Ooma system.

We do have an upcoming fix that should shave an additional 60-80ms. The fix should be deployed within the next couple months.
Bill D wrote: The phone call quality is so much better than AT&T ever had.Following the posts on this thread, it sure seems like there is something weird going on with delay or perceived delay or the validity of the delay test (909-390-0003). I've been on a few calls that seemed very delay-free in last few days, but ran the test again and saw 800 ms. I'll be busy for the next several days, but after that, I'll do some experimenting.
Bobby B

geobernd

Post by geobernd » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Bobby B wrote:What delay do you measure if dial 925-259-0082 from your Ooma system?

The echo number above will only work when dialing from an Ooma system.

We do have an upcoming fix that should shave an additional 60-80ms. The fix should be deployed within the next couple months.
300ms for me from the East Coast. If we could get 300ms for all calls I would be very happy.
I was on a call with FL before and the perceived latency was better then a couple of weeks back - so I am somewhat hopeful again... )My yearly Vonage is up for renewal in March and I would like to drop it and turn on Premier on Ooma for two lines instead....)

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Bobby B wrote:What delay do you measure if dial 925-259-0082 from your Ooma system?
Bobby,

Using 925-259-0082, I measure 350 ms from south Florida. My ping times to www3.ooma.com are 75 ms.

Thanks for jumping in on this thread. Perhaps you can clear up the confusion.

I also tried 909-390-0003 again and measured 875 ms. This used to measure 400 ms for me a couple months ago, but keeps climbing. Has this increase been caused by Ooma or something on my end?

Other folks on this thread report regularly testing 200 ms with 909-390-0003. How can that be? This makes me think the problem may be on my end.

I have two Hubs, so I also tried measuring Hub-to-Hub and also got 350 ms, so I assume 925-259-0082 is the same as delay testing Hub-to-Hub, while 909-390-0003 goes outside of Ooma and back in, the same as when I call a non-Ooma phone.

Bill

bonflizubi

Post by bonflizubi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Bill D wrote:
Bobby,

Using 925-259-0082, I measure 350 ms from south Florida. My ping times to www3.ooma.com are 75 ms.

Thanks for jumping in on this thread. Perhaps you can clear up the confusion.

I also tried 909-390-0003 again and measured 875 ms. This used to measure 400 ms for me a couple months ago, but keeps climbing. Has this increase been caused by Ooma or something on my end?

Other folks on this thread report regularly testing 200 ms with 909-390-0003. How can that be? This makes me think the problem may be on my end.

I have two Hubs, so I also tried measuring Hub-to-Hub and also got 350 ms, so I assume 925-259-0082 is the same as delay testing Hub-to-Hub, while 909-390-0003 goes outside of Ooma and back in, the same as when I call a non-Ooma phone.

Bill

BobbyB-

What the heck is the difference between the two numbers? The 909 number is roughly 2x the lag of the 925 #. And the 909 number was the one originally assigned for testing this.

Are you guys just playing with phone numbers here? Or can you give us some explanation as to why there are 2 numbers that echo ridiculously differently...
ooma noob

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:54 pm

One is a normal Verizon landline available to anyone
http://tnid.org/lookup/9093900003/
One is a Ooma QA # used for activities relevant to the delay issue
http://tnid.org/lookup/9252590082/

bonflizubi

Post by bonflizubi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:14 pm

lbmofo wrote:One is a normal Verizon landline available to anyone
http://tnid.org/lookup/9093900003/
One is a Ooma QA # used for activities relevant to the delay issue
http://tnid.org/lookup/9252590082/
OK, so if you were reporting your lag, which # would you use... are you recommending we all measure on the 925 number then? (And is that what OOMA recommends?)

If that is correct, someone needs to fix their initial post with the test instructions. The inconsistencies then are huge currently with diff people using diff numbers...

OOMA rep- you oughta start a new thread with the exact number and directions, I think we all are a bit lost here....
ooma noob