Comcast Landline vs no landline

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
just4fn
Comcast Landline vs no landline

Post by just4fn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:54 am

Right now I am using Landline with my Ooma. I have Comcast voice. I am in the process of porting my number. My quality right now is perfect. Should I expect the same quality once my number is ported and I divorce Comcast landline?
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

koehn

Re: Comcast Landline vs no landline

Post by koehn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:15 am

just4fn wrote:Right now I am using Landline with my Ooma. I have Comcast voice. I am in the process of porting my number. My quality right now is perfect. Should I expect the same quality once my number is ported and I divorce Comcast landline?
I was in your shoes until a few days ago, when my number port completed (four weeks to the day from when I sent in my LOA paperwork). My wife mentioned she had one phone call where she could hear an echo on a local call, since then the quality has been identical to what we had on Comcast Digital Voice. We couldn't be happier with the service, and I'll be installing it at my mother-in-law's house over the weekend.

kagy

Post by kagy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:53 am

See my post "panacea?" in this section.
Si vis Pacem, Para bellum

raghuooma

Post by raghuooma » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 pm

just4fn wrote:Right now I am using Landline with my Ooma. I have Comcast voice. I am in the process of porting my number. My quality right now is perfect. Should I expect the same quality once my number is ported and I divorce Comcast landline?
My experience is that Ooma will be as good as your Internet connection quality (not the bandwidth, every one has enough bandwidth, it is the QoS of the network, not the QoS on Ooma).

Normally quality is good most of the time for DSL and Cable internet. You can check your ISP quality for voip at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html .

Comcast Digital Voice has its on channels and gets special treatment in Comcast network. Thats why it works perfectly.. the data is not treated same as your web traffic. But with Ooma your data goes over same path as your normal internet.

In summary Comcast Digital Voice is always good and Ooma will as good as Internet connection.