List of HD compatible telephones

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
cmeisel
List of HD compatible telephones

Post by cmeisel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:15 am

I asked for this before but there was no answer here from Ooma and support told me that they had no information.
Ooma released HD, nice. If I use the one telo handset we have it does sound good. But we only have one and most of our contacts who have Ooma don't have the handset at all (because it is, sorry Ooma, a terrible product with it's sharp edges, battery life, display and stability problems).

So you told us that most phones are not HD compatible . Nice to know but it would be more helpful to get a list of phones that are HD compatible. How about the Bluetooth ?

I would like to see a list of compatible HD phones and also, if this exists, HD capable Bluetooth devices.

thanks

claus

scoutconnor

Re: List of HD compatible telephones

Post by scoutconnor » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:42 am

The only HD compatible phone currently on the market (that is compatible with the Ooma HD Voice) is the Ooma Telo Handset AFAIK.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:45 pm

scoutconnor wrote:The only HD compatible phone currently on the market (that is compatible with the Ooma HD Voice) is the Ooma Telo Handset AFAIK.
I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate. HD is part of the VOIP specification so in theory any VOIP phone can support HD calls.
http://www.voip-news.com/feature/the-tr ... ip-030507/

When I call my work phone or my wife's work phone (both VOIP) the HD symbol is fired up on the Telo handset. I can't tell ya it sounds any different though.

cmeisel

Post by cmeisel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Ooma stated that HD calls can be made with the Telo handset and any other HD compatible handset. I saw that Philips (for example) has one but it would be nice to know if it is supported before I buy it. The same goes for my Bluetooth question.
I have to assume that ooma has all this info (it is part of any product/feature launch to have this ready)

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 pm

cmeisel wrote: I have to assume that ooma has all this info (it is part of any product/feature launch to have this ready)
Really? I haven't been around long enough to see many vendors say, "Here is a list of compatible products made by our competitors that you can buy instead of purchasing our product."

Seems to me like it would be self-defeating. Then again, if you have seen vendors do this, I'll take your word for it. Now as to actually having that information, I agree - they probably know what will and won't work. But how would it be to their advantage to share that with us?

Note that I am talking about the handsets only. If there are BT headsets that offer HD sound, then compiling a list of headsets that worked well with HD would be very appropriate. They tried this in a limited way for normal headsets ony before launching the BT adapter.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:14 pm

cmeisel wrote:So you told us that most phones are not HD compatible . Nice to know but it would be more helpful to get a list of phones that are HD compatible.
I don't have a comprehensive list of phones, but I've tried it on the AT&T 993 corded phone with pretty good results. This was actually the phone we used to demo HD voice at CES earlier this year. For this phone, we found the HD voice really only shined through when there was an attached [Plantronics] headset.

As a general guide, almost all cordless phones won't support the higher frequencies required for HD voice. Some corded phones may support HD voice, but it's really hit or miss.
cmeisel wrote:How about the Bluetooth ?
Bluetooth headsets don't support HD voice frequencies.
Bobby B

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Bobby B wrote:
cmeisel wrote:So you told us that most phones are not HD compatible . Nice to know but it would be more helpful to get a list of phones that are HD compatible.
I don't have a comprehensive list of phones, but I've tried it on the AT&T 993 corded phone with pretty good results. This was actually the phone we used to demo HD voice at CES earlier this year. For this phone, we found the HD voice really only shined through when there was an attached headset.
AT&T 993...manual doesn't say anything about HD audio heh?

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm

The defining factor with DECT systems is whether or not they are cat-IQ compliant. Most do not advertise this, they merely state DECT 6.0. The difference we are concerned with is that cat-IQ compliant DECT uses the g.722 codec between the base and handset rather than g.726. There may be quite a few models that are compliant but don't advertise this. It is frustrating to try to shop for a cat-IQ DECT system since most do not state as such anywhere.

Bobby also gave an example of a model that really sounded good with a headset since the receiver end of that particular model's handset like most is not up to the wider range that the system itself is. Especially since g.722 will not only reach higher but it will reach down to 50hz if I am not mistaken. Hmmm, not sure if I ever want to hear heavy bass notes on "hold" music though.

An Ooma list of compatibles would not be a list of competitors since we are talking about something that plugs into the FXS (Phone) port of their own ATA. Trouble is that without trying them all and due to lack of info from the vendors, it would be next to impossible to provide such a list.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:11 pm

lbmofo wrote:
Bobby B wrote:
I don't have a comprehensive list of phones, but I've tried it on the AT&T 993 corded phone with pretty good results. This was actually the phone we used to demo HD voice at CES earlier this year. For this phone, we found the HD voice really only shined through when there was an attached headset.
AT&T 993...manual doesn't say anything about HD audio heh?
Because it's a corded phone.

cmeisel

Post by cmeisel » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback. I was hoping for somehing like we tried model xyz and it works.
There is a Philips DECT 6.0 HD and I might try it and report back. I have also not given up hope that ooma will either develop a new handset (and scout type device please) or approach other vendors (Panasonic, vtech, etc) to add some ooma telo compatibility. This could be a win-win for ooma and a partner.