List of HD compatible telephones

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Davesworld
Re: List of HD compatible telephones

Post by Davesworld » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Dennis. Have you tried any cat-IQ compliant DECT phones? There are not a lot of them yet. Unlike other DECT which use g.726 as the codec between the handset and the base, the cat-IQ compliant ones use g.722 as the codec. Ones that come to mind are the Siemens SL-785 and S-795, some by Philips and Panasonic with their DECT Plus. One interesting note is that the dead giveaway as to whether they use the newer chipsets is that the cat-IQ compliant DECT phones all seem to have what is called eco mode. It would seem like a waste for these phones to use the g.722 codec and have a 4khz limitation. Obviously the FXS port on the Telo uses a wideband SLIC or this discussion would be irrelevant.

On a somewhat unrelated topic, along with cat-IQ, we are seeing GAP compliance. Any GAP compliant handset should be able to connect (be registered) to any GAP compliant base and provide at least basic telephone capability, you can make and receive calls but some advanced features may not work.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Davesworld wrote:Dennis. Have you tried any cat-IQ compliant DECT phones? There are not a lot of them yet. Unlike other DECT which use g.726 as the codec between the handset and the base, the cat-IQ compliant ones use g.722 as the codec. Ones that come to mind are the Siemens SL-785 and S-795, some by Philips and Panasonic with their DECT Plus. One interesting note is that the dead giveaway as to whether they use the newer chipsets is that the cat-IQ compliant DECT phones all seem to have what is called eco mode. It would seem like a waste for these phones to use the g.722 codec and have a 4khz limitation. Obviously the FXS port on the Telo uses a wideband SLIC or this discussion would be irrelevant.
We have not tested the Siemens SL-785, but now that you mentioned it, we'll get one and see whether or not it works. Our FXS does support wideband, so if the phone supports it, we should see a dramatic improvement in the call quality.
Davesworld wrote:On a somewhat unrelated topic, along with cat-IQ, we are seeing GAP compliance. Any GAP compliant handset should be able to connect (be registered) to any GAP compliant base and provide at least basic telephone capability, you can make and receive calls but some advanced features may not work.
From what I understand, even something as basic as caller-ID is considered outside the scope of GAP so it did not seem useful. We are currently not GAP compliant. There seems to be more hope for interoperability in the various flavors of CAT-iq, so we are moving toward that direction.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:04 pm

I was afraid of that with GAP. It would be pointless to marry up a phone to another base then. I guess the fact that companies such as Siemens at least allow most of their handsets to work with most of their bases plus some office desk phones is a good step but not the cheapest.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:34 pm

We've now tested the Siemens SL-785 and unfortunately it is no better than any other cordless phone we have tested in terms of transmitting wideband audio...

Layna

Post by Layna » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Thank you for being so comprehensive. Are any on your list cordless? Thank you.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:13 pm

What I find interesting about this is that even if both phones are not truly "HD" per your test methodology there still is a huge quality improvement compared to the same phones over an Ooma Hub. I did a bunch of tests with Tell owners I know using the same phones but swapping my Hub and Telo and the Telo quality is outstanding even though the phones used were not HD capable.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:33 pm

What I find interesting about this is that even if both phones are not truly "HD" per your test methodology there still is a huge quality improvement compared to the same phones over an Ooma Hub. I did a bunch of tests with Tell owners I know using the same phones but swapping my Hub and Telo and the Telo quality is outstanding even though the phones used were not HD capable.

Layna

Post by Layna » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Hello! Ibmofo, I am back looking for a cordless again that is compatible with Ooma. Thank you for your suggestions. This: Plantronics Cordless Headset Phone (CT14) I am sure a good one but more than I am hoping to pay. I am checking out your other list. Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

Layna

Post by Layna » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 pm

PS I am thinking to go with this one: Expandable-Cordless-Handset-Speakerphone-CS6219 What is likelihood of it being compatible with my Ooma device? Thanks again.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Basically, all phones are compatible with Ooma. Other than some folks having issues with GE models not working with Ooma's call waiting callerid, haven't heard of any phones that you can buy not being compatible with Ooma. This thread is talking about what non Telo handset phones are compatible with Ooma's HD feature. Seems like no wireless phones on the market is compatible. So no worries with that.

This 2 handset Vtech for $30 is nice but right now, you can walk into Costco and get a 3 handset DECT 6.0 Uniden (with digital answering machine; although I recommend turning if off) for $39.99.