4G adapter Internet/Adapter auto-cut over question.

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
oomamb
4G adapter Internet/Adapter auto-cut over question.

Post by oomamb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:00 am

I just purchased the Ooma 4G Adapter as a phone only backup connection for my Telo and am testing it out. Installation was easy following included quick start guide. Just attach and power cycle the Telo. It came up with "good" signal strength.

To test it, I pulled the Telo Ethernet cable. The Telo went to the red flashing flower for about a minute, then came back on blue. Trying to make a call worked fine, so while the cut over to the 4G adapter isn't instantaneous, and a call you were on would presumably be dropped, it seems to work as intended.

I then plugged the Ethernet cable back in and the Telo did nothing. At this point I looked in Ooma Support and noticed the mention of an "Install" app. I loaded that, logged in, and under "4G Adapter Status" it shows "Current connection: Adapter". So, with return of the Internet, it apparently didn't auto-switch back over to the regular Internet connection. Cycling the Telo power and waiting for it to come back online worked and showed "Current connection: Ethernet"

Is this expected behavior? I only want to use the 4G Adapter for calls if the regular Internet connection is down. Is a Telo power cycle the only way to force a switch back to the Internet after the Adapter has kicked in?

oomamb

Re: 4G adapter Internet/Adapter auto-cut over question.

Post by oomamb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:10 am

I guess I was just a bit too impatient. After bringing the internet down and back up, after 45min the 4G adapter was still using the adapter for phone, but after about an hour, it had switched back over to Ethernet. So it does auto switch back, just in a leisurely manner.

Moe

Re: 4G adapter Internet/Adapter auto-cut over question.

Post by Moe » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 am

I have installed the 4g it is located on the window but the signal varies from fair to poor nothing changes no one in the room. CS said unplug and plug to reset no improvement