google voice to Ooma and cell only rings once then dead

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
bhogsett
Re: google voice to Ooma and cell only rings once then dead

Post by bhogsett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:55 pm

I'll try support again on Tuesday.

What delay do you have set for Ooma to answer a call?

I had my Ooma set for 36 seconds so that Google would answer first and the voicemail would be in the Google Voice system.

Bill

cnebrandt

Re: google voice to Ooma and cell only rings once then dead

Post by cnebrandt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:34 pm

I am writing this to help others so they don't have to spend the hours I have spent trying to figure this out.

Ok after at least 5 calls to Ooma, changing my ooma secondary number and lot of other futile attempts, I figured it out. Apparently there was a new updated google voice information sheet just added today(actually now yesterday). So new that all but one of the eight people I spoke with at Ooma didn't even know about it. THe last one was sending me up to the 3rd tier of help when she told me to go to ooma.com then support then search on google for the "google voice extensions updated" page. She was sending me there to change my "direct access to voicemail" options which were never changed after getting a new secondary number. While I was on hold for her to get permission to send me up to the 3rd tier help group I started reading all the info on the new "updated" page. This is what I found:
With Google Voice Extensions enabled, your Ooma Telo will ring once for incoming Googlve Voice calls and then automatically answer the call and turn on the speakers on your Ooma Telo and Ooma Telo Handsets. This allows you to hear the Call Screening announcement of who's calling without having to go check the caller-ID on your phone.
Even though the Ooma Telo has the answered call at that point, you are not yet connected to the caller. As Google Voice reads off its standard phone menu (which you can disregard), you have a couple of options:
To answer the call, simply pick up and answer any phone receiver or Ooma Telo Handset. The Ooma Telo will automatically send the appropriate code to connect you to the caller.
To ignore the call or send it to Google Voicemail, simply press the key and the Ooma Telo will drop the call and send it to Google Voicemail (this works just like Ooma's Send to Voicemail feature). NOTE: You will not be able to use the ListenIn feature if you send a call to Google Voicemail.
If no one picks up a phone after about 10-15 seconds, the Ooma Telo will automatically send the call to Google Voice voicemail with the ListenIn feature enabled. While the caller is leaving their voice message, you'll be able to hear their message over the speaker of your Ooma Telo and Ooma Telo Handset. You can intercept the call simply by picking up any phone receiver or Ooma Telo Handset. Again, the Ooma Telo will automatically send the appropriate code to connect you to the caller.

NOTICE the bit about ring once? THat is what I kept telling everyone but no one knew about this. I can't believe that everyone trying to use google voice isn't having this happen. I didn't know that the call was actually being answered because I was not in the same room as the telo and my non-telo handset didn't hear any announcement. Add to that the ridiculous complication that the phone I was using to call to test this process (92 times - the actual number of empty voicemails I found on google) had been listed as a contact so never got the call screening announcement - just dead air. I figured this out when the last Ooma person told me she was able to hear the announcement and leave a real voicemail which sure enough actually appeared in my email. THen when I read the bit about the Telo screening the call I realized I didn't hear it because I wasn't in the same room as the telo.

So I have to say that the Ooma people tried to help me but obviously didn't know anything about this. I must have spoken with 7 or 8 different people both 1st and 2nd tier and no one had any idea why the phone was only ringing once. THey were really trying to figure this out, but someone should explain why they were so clueless. Secondly, I don't know if this one ring business is new, but if it isn't, I am disappointed that no one of the community except someone who had the same problem bothered to respond to my request for help. Ntoy the Ooma moderated at least responded but still was clueless.

I'm also not happy at all with just having one ring and then having to hear the announcement on either the Telo or a handset. I can imagine not hearing the one ring at all, so I will probably miss calls all the time. And since the telo is in the office and I am most likely not, this means I must buy their telo handset and carry it with me all the time. I tried having Google Voice calls also forwarded to my iphone but it rings once too which means it usually just vibrates and shows a missed call.

I am brand new to Ooma and still in the "is this what I want" stage to determine if I want to keep it. I have spent so many hours trying to get it to work that my husband thinks I am crazy. I think there is a lot to like but I have to try some other way to use google voice because this system is just not going to work for me.

I hope that my rambling post helps others.

cnebrandt

SOLVED google voice to Ooma and cell only rings once then de

Post by cnebrandt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:41 am

My system is now set up to almost what I wanted. To help others who get to this thread with similar problems follow the links which will save you the time I spent on this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10683&p=74394#p74394

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10689