Voice Mail on Andriod?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mattbooty
Voice Mail on Andriod?

Post by mattbooty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:51 am

Hello,
I've had Ooma for about 2 months now. A few weeks ago I got an email on my phone that I had a voicemail. On a whim I logged in on my phone, clicked the voicemail, and it downloaded the message as an mp3 and I could listen to it, it was EXACTLY as I'd hoped it would be.

Then a couple weeks later I tried to do the same thing and instead of downloading it just says "This video is not playable". As far as I know, nothing has changed on my phone. Would anyone be able to add any insight as to what happened and if there is anything I can do to get this to start working again?

Thanks in advance!

amarryat

Re: Voice Mail on Andriod?

Post by amarryat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:43 am

Not to change the subject much, but I also have an Android phone. Haven't tried playing a VM from the Ooma website. However what I do is have Ooma send me the email - the attached file plays just fine - I have it send to my gmail address which works great on Android phones.

mattbooty

Post by mattbooty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:16 am

This may actually solve my issue. I didn't realize that was an option. I just turned that on and I'll see how that works.

Thanks! I'll make sure I update this after I've tested it.

gzub

Post by gzub » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:37 am

mattbooty wrote:Hello,
Then a couple weeks later I tried to do the same thing and instead of downloading it just says "This video is not playable". As far as I know, nothing has changed on my phone. Would anyone be able to add any insight as to what happened and if there is anything I can do to get this to start working again?
Thanks in advance!
I am having the same issue... Anyone know the answer besides having it send an mp3 to the e-mail?

Geoff

mattbooty

Post by mattbooty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Well, this actually isn't a solution for me either it seems, as it requires premiere to work and my trial expired yesterday.

Does anyone have a way to do it on a mobile device? I swear it worked initially (I still have the mp3 in my downloads folder to prove it!) but since that first time I just get the video is not playable error.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:30 pm

What happens when you try to play the mp3 already downloaded?

mattbooty

Post by mattbooty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:53 pm

It plays? I'm not sure I understand the question. Essentially around 6 weeks ago if I clicked on a message on the mobile dashboard it would download the VM as an mp3, then I would play that file that was downloaded... Now it doesn't even attempt to download it, it looks like it tries to load a video and then fails. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to download the MP3 but it fails every time. As far as I can tell nothing changed on my end, but it hasn't worked since that first time.

Does ooma support personnel visit this forum? Perhaps since they are in the know they could shed some light on this?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 pm

It has to do with android browser not understanding the mp3 file extension is my thinking.

mattbooty

Post by mattbooty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 pm

No this is definitely something with ooma's site. I've been messing around and did just discover a workaround. For any android users wondering about this... if you install the Dolphin Browser (an alternative browser to the default android browser) it does the exact same thing... BUT if you go into the dolphin settings and change the user agent to "desktop" (this essentially tricks the websites you are going to into believing you are viewing from a desktop browser and not a mobile browser) and it works the way it used to, it downloads the MP3 and I am then able to listen to it. If I change the user agent back to "android" and refresh, it causes the video not playable error.

So for anyone trying to do this, there is now a workaround, but still not ideal as then you will no longer get the mobile designed version of other sites you visit (unless you change the user agent back and forth). This also proves its something with the ooma site as the way it behaves changes based on what device is accessing it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Do a little test. Send this string as text to your android phone and see what happens when you click on it.

Code: Select all

http://www.ooma.com/forums/download/file.php?id=617