Hello? Hello? They hear me, but I don't hear them

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
thunderbird
Re: Hello? Hello? They hear me, but I don't hear them

Post by thunderbird » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:39 am

murphy wrote:The switch after the modem will not work unless your ISP will give you two IP addresses.
I was reading some more and I think Murphy might be right. I was reading an older post that said that the ISP will give you a second IP address for free, but you have to pay a one time turn-on fee???

Since most ISPs use dynamic IP addresses now days, I would try the switch idea first to see if it works (issues two IP addresses), if it doesn't work, than call your ISP.

Karl in NY

Post by Karl in NY » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:03 am

Yes, "Murphy's Law"...

Switch after modem was a no-go.

I called Time Warner, and they will not provide a second IP address to residential customers.
I would have to upgrade to business class to do that (not affordable) or, add another entire account with seperate modem,
for twice what I'm paying now.

Can someome provide Ooma "advanced" settings that will let me migrate the Telo to my present network segment
so that I can view my router config. page without having to plug into the Telo Home port?

I had nothing but errors when I tried to reassign Telo to a static IP within my network range.

Telo works great when connected directly to modem, but not when connected to router.
BUT, when connected to modem, I'm not able to access my LAN remotely...

n8399

Post by n8399 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:05 am

Karl in NY wrote:...
Can someome provide Ooma "advanced" settings that will let me migrate the Telo to my present network segment
so that I can view my router config. page without having to plug into the Telo Home port?

I had nothing but errors when I tried to reassign Telo to a static IP within my network range.

Telo works great when connected directly to modem, but not when connected to router.
BUT, when connected to modem, I'm not able to access my LAN remotely...
Assigned router static IP to Ooma MODEM MAC. Ooma Setup bookmark/shortcut to http://192.168.x.x :D
Perhaps my earlier edited post p2 was overlooked:
"Have gained LAN access using laptop/PC wireless card/usb adapter configured to wireless router's DHCP range with modem >router >Ooma >computer. Not tested with modem >Ooma >router >computer.
Successfully bypasses Ooma DHCP manual config bottleneck for less than $10-20 and 10-20min wireless adapter setup."
Quickly test your setup with a laptop/netbook's built-in wireless card or usb wireless adapter.

danlisman

Post by danlisman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:18 am

Since the original setup (with Telo after router) worked fine for months, maybe you could try a new router and go back to the original setup.
Get rid of satellite/cable. Buy DVR to Pause-Rewind-Record live antenna HDTV.
http://MustardTree.eCRATER.com

Karl in NY

Post by Karl in NY » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:39 pm

danlisman wrote:Since the original setup (with Telo after router) worked fine for months, maybe you could try a new router and go back to the original setup.
BINGO!...at least I think.

I installed a new (but identical model) router, and both phone and server have been working.

Old and new routers were Linksys WRT54GL, running Tomato firmware. I tried upgrading firmware on the existing router, and VOIP was still impossible. So, yanked it and installed an identical clone, and things are all working together presently...

So, maybe a router hardware problem from the start...or, maybe this improvement is just a teaser...

Karl in NY

Post by Karl in NY » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:41 pm

I still have acceptable outside network access and VOIP since replacing the router.

Also, I'm realizing far fewer problems with my eight network cameras...fewer reboots necessary since replacing the modem with an identical model.

I still need to reconfigure the WRT54GL running Tomato firmware for QoS...it's been a year since I originally did it and I did not document my settings...

My only Ooma issue right now is latency, where my caller and I are talking over each other...that issue briefly ceased to be a problem when I had the Telo ahead of the router, but was never good even with optimum QoS router settings when Telo was behind the router...so many compromises, but I'm still saving $55 month from when I had Verizon landline.

Again, many, many thanks to those of you on this forum...Ooma would be a useless choice for many people who have had specialized problems (like me), without forum support.

danlisman

Post by danlisman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Try *98 (to use G711 Codec) before phone number. I don't claim that this is a good solution, but it seems to fix many unexplainable problems.
Get rid of satellite/cable. Buy DVR to Pause-Rewind-Record live antenna HDTV.
http://MustardTree.eCRATER.com

Karl in NY

Post by Karl in NY » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Virtually all my calls are inbound, so *98 is of little use.

Since replacing the router, I'm still having dropped calls, but slightly better than before.
The latency is back, too...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:14 am

Karl:
Try rebooting everything, one at a time starting from the Internet side. I do mine every Sunday morning and I think it really helps.