Outgoing Caller ID

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
sgs
Outgoing Caller ID

Post by sgs » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:04 pm

I just had ooma setup last weekend. When I call someone, they do not see my name in their caller id. They only see my number. Is there something I need to set up somewhere? Thanks for any help.

funone46

Re: Outgoing Caller ID

Post by funone46 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:19 pm

I have the same issue. I called customer support to change it. They said it would take 3 weeks. I have no idea why it would take that long. Maybe a mod. can answer this question
Ooma customer since Febuary 2009 - savings so far $ 1000.00
Ooma hardware Hub/Scout
LIFETIME PREMIER MEMBER

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Mine has never said my name, only city and it's been 2 months.

Wayne

sgs

Post by sgs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 am

So mine does not appear to be an isolated case. I think it is simply unacceptable that after 2-3 years in business ooma cannot deliver its core features out of the box, and that it takes them several weeks/months to fix the issue.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:05 am

My understanding is that it's not a fix that is required but that it takes time for the phone systems or databases to be updated throughout the country. Those are not under ooma's control. But I thought it was supposed to be updated within 2-3 weeks.

My temporary/2nd number still says OOMA, INC., but I'm waiting for my phone number to port over and then I'll be complaining too if my ported number doesn't have my name, since it should still be in the databases with my name from when the number was with AT&T.

sgs

Post by sgs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:29 am

There is no mention of this delay anywhere in ooma documentation or web site. I don't think it takes 2-3 weeks for the database to get updated. I have another VoIP line from a different provider and the moment I turned it on, the outgoing caller ID was showing my name correctly. It had taken only 3 days for it to arrive after I ordered it.
In any case, it should never take 2 months for the database to get updated - as per Wayne's post.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:11 am

I agree, it shouldn't take 2 months, maybe it was 2-3 days that I read and not 2-3 weeks. I do remember reading others had to call CS to have them set something. I don't remember the exact details.

Here is the info I read, so I guess it supposed to take a couple of weeks:
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... =caller+id

I know I've been checking regularly by calling my AT&T number and after my number ports, I'm not sure how easy it's going to be. Most people I know don't have caller id.

scots

Post by scots » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:21 am

bw1 is correct in that there are several caller ID databases around the country, and none of them are under the control of ooma. Ooma (and other phone companies) can send out information to the companies that control these databases for the purpose of updating what shows for caller ID, but they have no direct control over any of the databases. It doesn't always take 2 to 3 weeks for all of the databases to get updated, but all phone companies (ooma included) will state a 2 to 3 week timeframe for an update to propagate throughout all the databases because delays do occur on occasion. You should contact ooma again if it's been 3 weeks and your caller ID still is not showing correctly.

thively

Post by thively » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:33 pm

It should normally take 1-2 days at most. No weeks. Though I understand them saying 2-3 weeks worst case scenario.
I've had caller ID changed on wireless and wired phone systems and it updated immediately, though in both cases I was using AT&T wireless to AT&T land line. So probably in that case they're updating their own database. I imagine Verizon or other telcos would take time to get the updates.

What I'm curious about is that in Ooma Lounge it clearly shows the name that should be on my Caller ID.
I have a temporary number that reads "Ooma Inc." Should my caller ID show up properly with my name when the Port takes place and match that of what's on the lounge?
Or will I have to call in and have this "fixed" after the port completes?

funone46

Post by funone46 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Good question. I wish a mod. would step in for some answers. Right now mine just shows the number and no name. I will have to check in a few days as a follow up
Ooma customer since Febuary 2009 - savings so far $ 1000.00
Ooma hardware Hub/Scout
LIFETIME PREMIER MEMBER