Cannot make any outgoing calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
rsomazzi
Cannot make any outgoing calls

Post by rsomazzi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Equipment: Ooma Telo
Router: Netgear WNR 3500L
Cable Modem: Motorola SB6120

Config: Cable modem to Router and Telo plugged into Router

I have struggled with QoS (jitter on calls) since early on with my Telo. Call quality was terrible. Calling Ooma tech support led me to the internal QoS setting on the Telo where I put in download and upload bandwidth numbers. This helped little.

So, I took the Telo out from BETWEEN the router and modem and stuck the Telo into the router to get the config I mentioned up top. This way, I could configure QoS for calls via the router now instead of the useless Telo QoS page. I hardcoded the Telo's IP address in my router to x.x.1.3 via its MAC address and also set up a new QoS rule also set by the Telo's MAC address and set that to HIGHEST priority.

Since configuring the Telo to plug into the router like any other wired device, I can no longer make outgoing calls. I can receive, but cannot make any out. I get the dial tone, but after dialing, there is nothing but silence.

Could someone please give me a clue as to what I am doing wrong? Is it a firewall issue? I've searched for an hour on this problem and cannot find the help I need.

thank you,
rsom

thunderbird

Re: Cannot make any outgoing calls

Post by thunderbird » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 pm

rsomazzi:
It sounds like your Router is blocking the outbound Ooma voice signals. It sounds like you have already reserved an IP address, in your Router for your Ooma device. So all you should have to do is place your Ooma IP address in your Router's DMZ.

You should have a minimum of Internet Security and Virus protection on each computer connected to your Router, because there is less Router LAN security with any device in the Router in the Router DMZ.

I use Norton Internet Security for each of my computers, with the Network Security Map enabled, with a security level Trust Control of Restricted for the Ooma device. This setting allows no traffic to/from the Ooma device to/from any other device on my Router LAN. It works great.

rsomazzi

Post by rsomazzi » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:25 am

Thanks for the reply...

I swear this isn't going to make much sense, but I looked in my router's "Attached Devices" page to snatch the MAC address of the Telo, and used that MAC to assign a dedicated IP to it. Then I put that IP into my router's DMZ. It didn't work, still no outgoing calls. A few power cycles and an hour later, the MAC changes for the Telo?! My router's page now shows a different MAC than before. I can tell which MAC it is because it is gone as soon as I unplug the Telo from power or the router, and then it appears again when it finishes booting or is reconnected.

I know the MAC is static, but I can't, for the life of me figure out why it changed or why, after putting it into the DMZ I am still having issues. Although it would be nice for it to work once in the DMZ, I do not like having any device on my network outside of the firewall, for obvious security as you mentioned.

/sigh

Still troubleshooting...

rsomazzi

Post by rsomazzi » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:28 am

For security, I run MS Security Essentials along with Threatfire real time. I occasionally run anti-malware from time to time as well. I don't have any security problems as of yet since I've done this, but I'd like to avoid having to use a DMZ unless its for troubleshooting.

rsomazzi

Post by rsomazzi » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:32 am

There are two more points I'd like to make:

1. Another reason for moving the Telo out from in between the router and modem is because since I've upgraded my internet connection to 50mb (yes, 50), I've had to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (Motorola SB6120) to support the higher speed. What I have noticed lately is if the Telo is in BETWEEN the two devices, my internet bandwidth gets cut by 80% or so. I don't know why since the Telo should support 100mb, but as soon as it is removed, my bandwidth is restored. Moving it to the router also gives me the benefit of setting QoS on the router, but since I can't make outgoing calls right now, I need to solve that first.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:41 am

rsomazzi wrote:Thanks for the reply...

I swear this isn't going to make much sense, but I looked in my router's "Attached Devices" page to snatch the MAC address of the Telo, and used that MAC to assign a dedicated IP to it. Then I put that IP into my router's DMZ. It didn't work, still no outgoing calls. A few power cycles and an hour later, the MAC changes for the Telo?! My router's page now shows a different MAC than before. I can tell which MAC it is because it is gone as soon as I unplug the Telo from power or the router, and then it appears again when it finishes booting or is reconnected.

I know the MAC is static, but I can't, for the life of me figure out why it changed or why, after putting it into the DMZ I am still having issues. Although it would be nice for it to work once in the DMZ, I do not like having any device on my network outside of the firewall, for obvious security as you mentioned.

/sigh

Still troubleshooting...
Try locking (turning off MAC address Spoofing) your Ooma device Internet MAC address and then test calling with your Ooma Telo IP address in the Router's DMZ.

If that doesn't work test with a differnt phone.

If that doesn't work try connecting Modem-Ooma-Router and test and make sure you still can make outbound calls connected that way. If you can, set your Quality of Service per the procedure at end of this post for Modem-Ooma-Router connection, and see if these settings helps with your Internet speed.

MAC address Spoofing can change your Ooma Internet MAC address.
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

For a Modem-Ooma-Router connection only:
Setting Quality of Service:
Since your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router, this is what has working other people with this setup:

Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

missy

Post by missy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:49 pm

I have had numerous problems in the past month, while I had no problems when I first started using Ooma 3 mos. ago. 1) when I make outside calls, sometimes it rings and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it cuts off the first part of the message/caller, and sometimes I cannot connect at all. 2) I think Internet goes down sometimes when I am on a call with someone. I have been told I need a new cable at $100. 3) Since I purchased and installed a new phone, voice quality is often poor or non-existant. Help! Ooma is sending me a replacement device so I hope it is their equipment. Any advice appreciated. :|

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:15 pm

missy wrote:I have had numerous problems in the past month, while I had no problems when I first started using Ooma 3 mos. ago. 1) when I make outside calls, sometimes it rings and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it cuts off the first part of the message/caller, and sometimes I cannot connect at all. 2) I think Internet goes down sometimes when I am on a call with someone. I have been told I need a new cable at $100. 3) Since I purchased and installed a new phone, voice quality is often poor or non-existant. Help! Ooma is sending me a replacement device so I hope it is their equipment. Any advice appreciated. :|
It would probably be best if you tried the replacement Ooma Telo that Ooma is sending you, first.

But you can also provide some information:

Please list the problems that you are having.

How do you have your Ooma setup, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

After you provide the requested information, some suggestions will be provided.

missy

Post by missy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:12 pm

thunderbird wrote:
missy wrote:I have had numerous problems in the past month, while I had no problems when I first started using Ooma 3 mos. ago. 1) when I make outside calls, sometimes it rings and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it cuts off the first part of the message/caller, and sometimes I cannot connect at all. 2) I think Internet goes down sometimes when I am on a call with someone. I have been told I need a new cable at $100. 3) Since I purchased and installed a new phone, voice quality is often poor or non-existant. Help! Ooma is sending me a replacement device so I hope it is their equipment. Any advice appreciated. :|
It would probably be best if you tried the replacement Ooma Telo that Ooma is sending you, first.

But you can also provide some information:

Please list the problems that you are having. (Numerous problems with no set pattern (see above for some of the problems).

How do you have your Ooma setup, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma? (Modem-Router-Ooma)

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: _2042-2875_kbps______________
Upload Speed: _458-492 kbps_______________
Download Consistency of Service __57% - 91% (1st and 2nd test)______
Upload Consistency of Service _80% - 99%________
Maximum TCP Delay ___212 - 129 ms__________
Jitter you server __2.0 ms - 2.5 ms_______
Jitter server you __4.8 ms -5.1 ms_______
Packet loss: you server___0% upstream____
Packet loss: server you __0%-0.2% downstream___
Packet discards __0%_______
Packets out of order ______0%___
Estimated MOS score ________

After you provide the requested information, some suggestions will be provided.
Do you think I need a new cable at $100?
Thank you!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:25 pm

missy wrote:Do you think I need a new cable at $100?
Do you mean a new cable modem? Likely yes, but that's just me :) And the price is less than $50 depending on what model you get.