Can't dial out a 1-800 number?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
drp4
Can't dial out a 1-800 number?

Post by drp4 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:43 am

"You've dialed a number that cannot be reached from your calling area." Interesting... never known of an domestic 800# that cannot be reached! Works on my cell, and my old Cincinnati Bell service; why not via Ooma?

thunderbird

Re: Can't dial out a 1-800 number?

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 am

drp4 wrote:"You've dialed a number that cannot be reached from your calling area." Interesting... never known of an domestic 800# that cannot be reached! Works on my cell, and my old Cincinnati Bell service; why not via Ooma?
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... tification

Quote:
"Privacy
ANI is unrelated to caller ID. A caller's telephone number and line type are captured by ANI service even if caller ID blocking is activated. The destination telephone company switching office can relay the originating telephone number to ANI delivery services subscribers. Toll-free Inward WATS number subscribers and large companies normally have access to ANI information, either instantly via installed equipment, or from a monthly billing statement. Residential Subscribers can obtain access to ANI information through third party companies that charge for the service.[4]

ANI is generally not transmitted when a call is operator assisted, only the area code of the last switch to route the call is sent.

Placing a call through an outbound-only VoIP service or some calling cards will cause a non-working number to be sent as the ANI."
End of Quote.

Probably the called 8xx number partie's phone system sees some incorrect information being sent by the Ooma phone call.

First I'd contact Ooma Customer Service and see what they have to say.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Some addional information that has helped others with not the same, but simular problems:

8xx Toll Free Number Calling Problem (Hear Fast Busy)

By valleybill:
You now must not have caller ID blocking. If you do, then dial *82 before a toll free call.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12455&start=40

By ehl1:
1) The issue has been found to relate to Caller ID blocking - and my setting was indeed set to block my caller ID on outgoing calls. We switched off that feature, rebooted the Ooma Telo, and lo and behold, ALL 800 #s went through first try, no issue(!)

2) In addition, it was reported that even with the caller ID blocking active, if you wait 5-10 seconds after the fast busy, the call apparently does connect (I never tried this and still haven't)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12455&start=30

Next if that doesn’t work:
Try calling with a *99 in front of the number for the Oomo Hub.
Try Calling with a *99, *98 or *96 in front of the number if you have an Ooma Telo.
Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

drp4

Post by drp4 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:30 am

Interesting... one post says to wait 5 or so seconds after I get the message "cannot be reached from your calling area," and the call will go through. True enough. It does. I guess I wasn't patient enough.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:37 am

drp4 wrote:Interesting... one post says to wait 5 or so seconds after I get the message "cannot be reached from your calling area," and the call will go through. True enough. It does. I guess I wasn't patient enough.
Thanks for reporting back your resolution. It will benefit other Ooma Forum users. :)

u00marf

Post by u00marf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:03 am

This post was very helpful. Although I had to wait about 10 seconds for my call to go through.

seefyre

Post by seefyre » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:28 pm

I have tried all the work arounds on this forum (waiting for the call to go through, dialing *67, dialing *98) and so far nothing has worked. I still listen to Ooma tell me "sorry that number is not available from your calling area". So I pick up my landline that I kept in case this thing was too quirky and make the call. It may be going back to Costco if I can't figure this out, Ooma custmoer service was unable to help, they gave me some business about how certain companies block local access. Like I said it works fine from my landline :(

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:52 pm

seefyre wrote:I have tried all the work arounds on this forum (waiting for the call to go through, dialing *67, dialing *98) and so far nothing has worked. I still listen to Ooma tell me "sorry that number is not available from your calling area". So I pick up my landline that I kept in case this thing was too quirky and make the call. It may be going back to Costco if I can't figure this out, Ooma custmoer service was unable to help, they gave me some business about how certain companies block local access. Like I said it works fine from my landline :(
Some ideas:
Is your land line and Ooma area codes the same? Some 800 numbers are regional, so if your phone numbers aren't in the same area code and maybe have the prefix, etc, as the region that the 800 number calls to, you won't get through.
What is the 800 number that you are trying to call? Maybe some one else using an Ooma phone system can test call test call the number to see if they can get through.

You have probably done this already, but is your Ten Digit calling enabled in My Ooma at https://my.ooma.com/system ?

Try the Ooma device one hour power off. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

If you are still within the two month trail Ooma Premier period, you can set up your second phone line in My Ooma. Then make test calls with your second line.

seefyre

Post by seefyre » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Indeed my land line and Ooma number are the same prefix, they should actually be close to the same zip code as well. Yes I did play withe the ten digit calling and tried calling enabled and disabled. The number I'm trying to call is 800-926-8232. I know the physical location of that business (trugreen) is about 35 miles away and I have been able to call other 800 numbers that were out of my area successfully. Thanks for the tip on the power down/up and second number, I will try those shortly. I'm just being very detailed in what works and what doesn't so I can make a smart choice to stay with a land line or go Ooma (I'm running both side-by-side for a month)

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:10 pm

seefyre:
I dialed 800-926-8232 and got a mesage saying "you have dialed a number that isn't in your calling area".

Maybe someone living in the Oregon area can make a test call to 800-926-8232, from their Ooma phone for Seefyre.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:38 pm

thunderbird wrote:seefyre:
I dialed 800-926-8232 and got a mesage saying "you have dialed a number that isn't in your calling area".

Maybe someone living in the Oregon area can make a test call to 800-926-8232, from their Ooma phone for Seefyre.
I am WA and I was able to call using Ooma app. The phone sure rang for a long time before connecting to automated system presenting choices of departments.