Can not make outgoing calls - after changing ISP

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
lbmofo
Re: Can not make outgoing calls - after changing ISP

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:20 pm

mbhang, if you can't get TrendNet router to work, don't worry about it. Like I said, I tried everything with my previous 2 TrendNet routers to make my Ooma app work with WiFi (changing firewall settings, opening up ports, port forwards, etc etc) but to no avail so if you can't get TrendNet to work, just go with the new router.

mbhang

Post by mbhang » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:23 am

Thank you all.

I tried tweaks on my Trendnet TDM-C400 - but it simply does not change anything (outgoing calls still need *98 and other codes to go thru).

I have swapped the modems (using TP-Link TD-8817) - and this appears to work quiet well. I hope this new modem is as stable as I remember the Trendnet to be (I was using this until last year - and it would run for months without a reset).

I am also puzzled as to why Trendnet/Ooma combo used to work fine last year (I had switched from ATT to comcast last year, had been using the trendnet modem at that time, and Ooma used to work great). Probably, some firmware update/codec change on Ooma side might be the reason it no longer works.

Well... at least the modem swap is working - I will stick with that, unless the new modem keeps dropping often.

ericute

Post by ericute » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 am

i have the same problem. after changing isp i started having my ooma hub trouble connecting..i have a blue light, dial tone..incoming calls...but outgoing not ok....i already did a factory reset...i checked routers firewall it says disable..

modem > router < ooma hub

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:46 am

ericute wrote:i have the same problem. after changing isp i started having my ooma hub trouble connecting..i have a blue light, dial tone..incoming calls...but outgoing not ok....i already did a factory reset...i checked routers firewall it says disable..

modem > router < ooma hub
Power off the Ooma device for 1 hour. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test. While the Ooma device is off-line, reboot your modem.

If that doesn't work, If you have a Switch connected between your Router and Ooma Hub, temporarily connect the Ooma Hub directly to the Router, then test. (If your Internet is stopping and starting, the Switch will still maintain a connection to the Ooma Hub, even though the Modem and Router is not passing an Internet signal), Observe the Ooma Hub and see if from time to time there is a Red tab.

If that doesn’t work, try temporarily connecting Modem-Ooma Hub-Router and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, try using prefix *99 before the number. Example: *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. Note: *99 can cause echo.

Last: if nothing works, contact Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

ericute

Post by ericute » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:32 am

Power off the Ooma device for 1 hour. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test. While the Ooma device is off-line, reboot your modem.
I already did but its the same situation.
If that doesn't work, If you have a Switch connected between your Router and Ooma Hub, temporarily connect the Ooma Hub directly to the Router, then test. (If your Internet is stopping and starting, the Switch will still maintain a connection to the Ooma Hub, even though the Modem and Router is not passing an Internet signal), Observe the Ooma Hub and see if from time to time there is a Red tab.
i dont have a switch..ooma hub is connected directly to the router. and i noticed the connection is unstable...sometimes it wont connect.it just gives me blinkin ooma and 1 2 buttons are red..then i would reboot ooma and it would connect again..sometimes it takes a long time to connect..
If that doesn’t work, try temporarily connecting Modem-Ooma Hub-Router and see what happens.
tried it..same thing...
If that doesn't work, try using prefix *99 before the number. Example: *99-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. Note: *99 can cause echo.
wont connect either
Last: if nothing works, contact Ooma Customer Support:
i tried the chat support and the customer service told me to call them! lol...i just mentioned i cant make outside calls...

my internet connection is fine...i can surf the net..download..i just cant make calls with my ooma hub..its really frustrating..been finding answers for a week...

ericute

Post by ericute » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:59 am

i was wondering...is there any chance that it might be the modem..because im still using my old router when the ooma hub is working with the old isp...since i changed isp, they use their own modem....hmmmm i dont know...i didnt change any setting on my router and ooma hub... i already did a hard reset on my ooma and router..and its still the same...cant make calls...and sometimes ooma wouldnt connect...its really weird...how can this thing be so complicated...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 am

ericute wrote:i was wondering...is there any chance that it might be the modem..because im still using my old router when the ooma hub is working with the old isp...since i changed isp, they use their own modem....hmmmm i dont know...i didnt change any setting on my router and ooma hub... i already did a hard reset on my ooma and router..and its still the same...cant make calls...and sometimes ooma wouldnt connect...its really weird...how can this thing be so complicated...
I think you are right, from your answers, the Modem would be the next place to look. If you are renting a modem, it should be easy to get a replacement from the Internet provider.

ericute

Post by ericute » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:31 pm

i called my isp and they said i should apply for static ip so that i can use my voip... they mentioned port forwarding blah blah blah..which i dont know what they're saying..lol....is this true thunderbird? will this fix my outgoing calls problems?

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Static IP is usually an extra monthly fee. I would suggest telling them to send you a new modem or you'll find a new ISP!

ericute, you didn't mention who your ISP was or what your stats were from phonepower

Download Speed:
Upload Speed:
Download Consistency of Service:
Upload Consistency of Service:
Maximum TCP Delay:
Jitter you server:
Jitter server you:
Packet loss: you server:
Packet loss: server you:
Packet discards:
Packets out of order:
Estimated MOS score:
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

ericute

Post by ericute » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 pm

they actualy brought me a different modem the other day and unfortunately its still the same...i couldnt make outgoing calls..

the technician bridged the settings to my router and still the same problem...so i said i guess its not the modem then..you dont have to replace the modem since both modems cant fix the outgoing calls on my ooma hub...and luckily another technician came over to my house yesterday..and he told me i have to call my isp and ask for ip activation for my voip...my isp is globe tattoo broadband...its in the philippines...