Unable to complete calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Lord Vader
Unable to complete calls

Post by Lord Vader » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:54 pm

All afternoon, whenever I attempt to make a call, after the last digit is dialed, there is no ringing. There is about 20-30 seconds of silence, then the Ooma dial tone comes back. The only way I'm able to make calls is through my cordless home phone's blue tooth-to-cell capabilities, which is really irrelevant.

In addition, when someone tries to call me, my phone rings, but when I pick it up, I get the dial tone and their call is not connected.

I've reset the Telo several times, but that hasn't helped.

thunderbird

Re: Unable to complete calls

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Lord Vader wrote:All afternoon, whenever I attempt to make a call, after the last digit is dialed, there is no ringing. There is about 20-30 seconds of silence, then the Ooma dial tone comes back. The only way I'm able to make calls is through my cordless home phone's blue tooth-to-cell capabilities, which is really irrelevant.

In addition, when someone tries to call me, my phone rings, but when I pick it up, I get the dial tone and their call is not connected.

I've reset the Telo several times, but that hasn't helped.
There is a "bug" going on right now that is not the same, but is a little simular to the problem that you are having. By the end of next week, upgrades to the Ooma Servers are supposed to fix that problem.

Some other things to try:
Cycle the Do Not Disturb "Envelope button to change the color to yellow, then back to blue, and see if that helps.

Did you do the Ooma Telo factory reset? If not I'll post it for you.
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. You may have to re-register the Ooma Telo handsets, see procedure later in text.

Note: Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Something else to try:
Power off the Ooma device for 35 to 40 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test. While the Ooma device is off-line, reboot your modem.

Information: The VPN timeout is 10 minutes. At this time the 'network outage' timeout is 32 minutes. These are the times that are required to pass before the Ooma servers recognize that that your Ooma device is offline.

If all else fails contact Ooma Customer Support with your problem:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 pm

What exactly is this "bug" that is currently present?

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Anyway, I did what you recommended, and that seemed to have work. Or so I thought. The problem recurred today. Same 20-30 seconds of silence. Worse, now whenever I use my Ooma service, the Internet connection to my PC gets disconnected. Everything else that is Internet connected--DVRs, network printers, etc.--remains connected. It's just my PC that gets disconnected from the Internet.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Lord Vader wrote:Anyway, I did what you recommended, and that seemed to have work. Or so I thought. The problem recurred today. Same 20-30 seconds of silence. Worse, now whenever I use my Ooma service, the Internet connection to my PC gets disconnected. Everything else that is Internet connected--DVRs, network printers, etc.--remains connected. It's just my PC that gets disconnected from the Internet.
Lord Vader:
A little while ago I experience the exact same thing that you described. I unpowered my Ooma Telo for one hour. Then I repowered it and it worked fine. (At first I tried just rebooting and some other things, but only the one hour with power off worked for me). If my problem continues, I'll e-mail Ooma Customer Support.

The bug has to do with one-way-calling. You could call out to certain numbers, and the Ooma calling party couldn't hear the party on the other end.

There is also another bug, but that has to do with voicemail that they are working on.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 pm

I had my Telo unplugged for well over an hour (I was working on an unrelated issue and had the time to wait), but that didn't help either.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:53 pm

As I commented in another thread here, I'll say this much--with Vonage offering to have me back, they're looking much more attractive. At $25/month, it's not much more for the Ooma Telo being $200 and Premier $120/year. I've had nothing but headaches in the 4 1/2 months I've had Ooma, and their tech support is terrible compared to Vonage. "Oh, just unplug the Telo for a while," is the standard response from everyone. Well, that rarely, if ever, works. Heck, with Vonage, at least I could reach them 24/7. With Ooma, it's, "Send us an Email and we'll take 2 days to respond, and we just MIGHT have a solution for you."

Oh, and add to the fact that I couldn't keep my second line fax # when coming to Ooma unless I purchased an additional Telo for $200.