Using Ooma results in Internet disconnection

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Lord Vader
Using Ooma results in Internet disconnection

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Recently, whenever I use my phone, the Internet disconnects from my PC only (other Internet connections are OK) and won't reconnect until I'm off the phone. I've made no changes to any settings in my router, so I'm puzzled as to why this is happening. Because my wireless connection to my PC had been inconsistent, I disconnected that and connected my PC to the Internet via direct ethernet cable. That's the only change I've made lately. To see if this change may have caused this problem, I went back to wireless temporarily, but that didn't matter. I still get disconnected from the Internet when using my Ooma service.

WayneDsr

Re: Using Ooma results in Internet disconnection

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm wondering if your router issued your ooma and pc a duplicate IP address?

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Why doesn't this happen when I'm connected wirelessly, though?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:35 pm

Lord Vader:
About four or five months ago someone else had your same problem. When they replaced their router with a new router, the problem went away.

But maybe you should try a factory reset of your router. Or set the Router Wi-Fi frequency from automatic to one of the listed frequencies and test. If that frequency doesn’t work, change to another Router Wi-Fi frequency and test.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Wi-Fi is irrelevant now. I don't have any issues when connected wirelessly; rather, the problem occurs when I'm connected hardwire, via an ethernet cable.

I seriously doubt the router is the problem anyway. The thing is only a few months old.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:19 pm

I had my old Linksys router lying around, so I switched out routers to see if that helped. No dice. Same problem, which leads me to believe it isn't a router issue.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:49 pm

I'll say this much--with Vonage offering to have me back, they're looking much more attractive. At $25/month, it's not much more for the Ooma Telo being $200 and Premier $120/year. I've had nothing but headaches in the 4 1/2 months I've had Ooma, and their tech support is terrible compared to Vonage. "Oh, just unplug the Telo for a while," is the standard response from everyone. Well, that rarely, if ever, works. Heck, with Vonage, at least I could reach them 24/7. With Ooma, it's, "Send us an Email and we'll take 2 days to respond, and we just MIGHT have a solution for you."

Oh, and add to the fact that I couldn't keep my second line fax # when coming to Ooma unless I purchased an additional Telo for $200.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:41 pm

I went into my router's setup and looked at the 9 devices it said are attached to it. I unplugged my Ooma Telo's ethernet cable and refreshed my router and noticed a device with an IP address of 192.168.1.8 (not duplicated by any other's, BTW) disappeared from the list. That tells me it was the Ooma device that is now no longer visible because I disconnected it.

So, I logged out of my router and went back to reconnect my Ooma. I then went back in to my router and refreshed the list, but so far, my Telo is not present after reconnecting it. I'm waiting to see if it's there. I did try to manually enter it by inputting its MAC address in my router's attached device list.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Well, after having it unplugged for 35 minutes this evening, the Telo won't stop flashing red (the flower like symbol on its front flashes a rapid red and won't stop). When I try to use the phone, I get a rapid busy signal. Don't know what's going on now.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:32 pm

Lord Vader, if you haven't done so, try the "Build In Modem Port MAC Address" setting and see if improvement: viewtopic.php?t=12403