Ring...ring...anybody?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
redial#
Re: Ring...ring...anybody?

Post by redial# » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi WayneDsr, thanks for the tip, i did some searching for "incoming" and i found too many threads simular to my situation. most of them were not end users errors but problems to do with some area codes.

anyhow, i called the csr, she took her time and assign me a ticket number. then the tech called me few time on my home # and everytime the call went through, go figure.

then i used the phone for few calls and after that the phone went to the same b#@4 S#$@ again. Very frustrating.

I am getting to conclusion that this outages happened between 7-10am and 5-8pm eastern time. area code that i am having problem with is 973 nj.

I dont know what else to do...

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:54 pm

What happens when the call doesn't go through? The call never shows up on your Hub (ie the line 1/2 lights do not light up and your phones don't ring)? What do you hear on the calling side, it just rings forever, or do you hear a message? If it is easy to recreate, can you give me an exact date/time that you made a call to your home system and the call did not go through?

redial#

Post by redial# » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:37 am

Hi Dennis P
Dennis P wrote:What happens when the call doesn't go through?
I calles this morning 04-23-09 at 10:14am, the vm picked up. then i tried around 10:16am and the phone rang for about 5mn and it disconnect by itself.
Dennis P wrote:The call never shows up on your Hub (ie the line 1/2 lights do not light up and your phones don't ring)?
Yes, the lite for line 1 turns on, and the handset ring like normal working way.
Dennis P wrote:What do you hear on the calling side[/qoute]
silence, absolutly nothing.
Dennis P wrote:it just rings forever, or do you hear a message?
ring forever, about 5mn

If it is easy to recreate, can you give me an exact date/time that you made a call to your home system and the call did not go through?

1st qoute.

I appreciate your help.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:21 am

Take a close look at your Internet connection. It does not appear to be very stable and is affecting your ooma service in two ways. First, when the call is supposed to go to voicemail, the call can't roll over because we cannot "find" the voicemail server. Second, if you do pick up the call, you can't hear the other party because the packets aren't getting to/from our servers. The logs for your device are also incomplete - although I see both of the calls you placed, there are large chunks of missing information which is indicative of a connectivity problem between your box and our servers.

First thing to do is verify that your DSL connection is working when this is happening. Check for a "connected" LED on your DSL modem and/or make sure you can browse a website (try https://www.ooma.com) when this problem is occurring.

redial#

Post by redial# » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:33 am

I will try your suggestions about checking the connection during an incoming call.

I will post back this evening, Thank you

oomg

Post by oomg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:58 am

redial# wrote:I will try your suggestions about checking the connection during an incoming call.

I will post back this evening, Thank you

Try testing internet speed with and without ooma Hub connected. speedtest.net

If internet speed seems unusually slow, just might be due to the way your system is configured... look at this thread:
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 16ba#p4825
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

redial#

Post by redial# » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:04 pm

oomg,
i did the speed test of dsl with and without ooma.

dsl to pc, dsl to router (netgear 624v3) and dsl to ooma to router, the result was within average of 1.01-1.18up to 380-448down.

so i think my setup does give ooma all the bandwitch it needs.

Dennis P,
i examined the dsl and ooma hub lights as you suggested, and to my surprise that the dsl lite will be solid green and as soon the phone ring the modem will loose the connection and the dsl lite will flash for a min or 2 before it turns solid.

after the light turns solid i will make a call to myself via my cell and it will direct me to my vm.

my question: why would the dsl looses connection everytime the phone rings?

p.s., i contacted verizon dsl, and they told me to monitore the situation and one of their csr will contact me back to update me on the status of my problem.

redial#

Post by redial# » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:08 pm

test result of voiptest and westell 6100 log
THU APR 23 17:09:46 2009
US DSL Rate: 448 kbits/sec DS DSL Rate: 1184 kbits/sec

THU APR 23 17:09:46 2009
WanMgr reports DSL is UP

THU APR 23 17:09:26 2009
Model number: E90-610015-06

Software version: VER:4.04.03.00

Product: ProLine
Model: NAT Combo

end of diagnostic log file

verizon office distance: 13000 ft

whichvoip.com:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1013296 bps
Upload speed: 382448 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 13 ms
Average download pause: 11 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 121 ms
Average round trip time to server: 121 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1040000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0263536
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 4332888bps

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Do you have the WALL port of the ooma hub connected to the wall phone jack? Are you using a Scout?

If you do have the WALL port plugged into the wall phone jack, disconnect this and see if you get the same issue.

Wayne

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 pm

WayneDsr wrote: If you do have the WALL port plugged into the wall phone jack, disconnect this and see if you get the same issue.

Wayne
It won't work if ooma is configure with land line. I would try to put a DSL filter/microfilter between the hub wall port and the wall jack as I would put it before a regular phone as DSL requires it. If the problem goes away, the DSL and HPNA are interfere with each other.
tommies