Incoming calls work, outgoing does not

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
stuartde
Incoming calls work, outgoing does not

Post by stuartde » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:53 pm

New Ooba user; just plugged it in 30min ago. Incoming is fine; voicemail works and everything. I can make outgoing calls with Ooma mobile. Just can't do it with Ooma Telo. Quirks:

- I get the Ooma dial tone
- I can dial, there is a slight delay, then I get the canned message that my "call cannot be completed at this time" and to "please try again later"
- The call does show up as an outgoing call on my dashboard

Weird. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Stuart

stuartde

Re: Incoming calls work, outgoing does not

Post by stuartde » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:00 pm

And, just like that, I figured it out. Should others encounter this, here's the deal: you don't need to dial the area code if it's the same as your origin number. For example. if you're in the 212, just dial the number directly (e.g., 555-1212 not 212-555-1212). I'm so used to dialing ten digits on my mobile that it never occured to try it any other way.

Minor ask of Ooma: it' be a nice inclusion if, when you enable 10 digit dial, it includes your home area code :)

flyahead

Post by flyahead » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:33 am

Thanks so much for this information. We just started doing 10 digit dialing about a week ago, so I had been trying to dial all 10 from home and getting this message...

This corrected the problem, operator error....

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:37 am

Make sure you have ten digit dialing enabled in My Ooma at https://my.ooma.com/system .

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:42 am

10-digit dialing lets you make long-distance calls without dialing the initial 1, just like on your cell phone.

This can introduce a short delay if you dial 7 digits for local calls. Press # after you dial to put the call through immediately.