Can I shut down my ooma for an extended period of time?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
WayneDsr
Re: Can I shut down my ooma for an extended period of time?

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 am

Yes to the second question about Florida.

Wayne

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:25 am

number9 wrote:Also if the hub is 'portable' would I be able to receive incoming calls on my hub? If I'm in Orlando, vacationing and some one calls my home number will it ring in on the hub in Orlando?
I know that high speed internet is required no matter where I am.
Yes, that will work. Just don't dial 911 while you are in Orlando.
(Emergency services would be dispatched to your home, not Orlando).
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dmlanger

Post by dmlanger » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 am

number9 wrote:
Dennis P wrote:One month, no problem.
You say one month, no problem. Is there a time limit?

Also if the hub is 'portable' would I be able to receive incoming calls on my hub? If I'm in Orlando, vacationing and some one calls my home number will it ring in on the hub in Orlando?

yeah it will, just the e911 needs to be reconfigured.

thively

Post by thively » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:58 am

number9 wrote:
Dennis P wrote:One month, no problem.

Also if the hub is 'portable' would I be able to receive incoming calls on my hub? If I'm in Orlando, vacationing and some one calls my home number will it ring in on the hub in Orlando?
It works the same no matter where you are. You can plug the Ooma system in to the internet anywhere in the world and it operates just the same way it would in your house.

The only caveat is what's considered a local call. It doesn't matter for outgoing domestically since Ooma has free long distance.
But if someone calls your say Dallas number from a Dallas number and you and Ooma are in Orlando it's a local call to them.
But someone calling you from Orlando to your Dallas number while you're in Orlando with Ooma is a long distance call to them (from Orlando to Dallas.)

Same with international. If you're in Hong Kong with Ooma and you call Dallas (or any US number,) it's a local or domestic LD call to and from you. But calling Hong Kong would be an international call from the US back to Hong Kong.

I'd also like an answer on what's too long. How long does a unit have to be inactive before the service is canceled?
And does paying for premium have any bearing on that?
I would expect as long as I'm paying for premium, I should be able to have the unit offline for 3 years and still have it work when I plug it back in.

anrufer

Post by anrufer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:20 am

This is an interesting question. Dennis (or anybody else from ooma), do you have an answer for us?

Thanks in advance for your time!