Telo Voice Mail Picking Up When It Shouldn't

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Lakeo
Telo Voice Mail Picking Up When It Shouldn't

Post by Lakeo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm

I have been an OOMA customer for a number of years and I'am very happy with the service. Had a strange occurrence today, however, that maybe someone can help with.

I use a cordless Uniden phone for voice mail, not my Telo. I was sittiing at my desk where one of the Uniden handsets is located, and the phone rang once. When I answered, no one was there.

I didn't notice until a few minutes later, that there was a voice mail on the Telo. I have the Telo set to pick up after six rings, the Uniden after four, so I pay little attention to the VM lights on the Telo assuming the Uniden will always pick up incoming calls first.

When I called the party back and mentioned my phone had rang only once before it went to VM, he indicated that on his end it "rang and rang" before VW picked up.

In thinking back, there have been other times when I have found VM on the Telo when the Uniden either didn't ring, or where the Uniden VM should have picked up first. All conection from the Telo to the Uniden base seem sound.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem may be.

Thanks,
lakeo

lbmofo

Re: Telo Voice Mail Picking Up When It Shouldn't

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Once in a while, Ooma central/Ooma device may do a hiccup. I've experienced a few times when I call home, the home phone would ring and when picked up, no sound (wife/kids tell me) while I experience 1 ring and get weird fax sound or ring and ring and ring and be taken to the Ooma VM system. These incidents are few and far in between though. That's probably what happened and the caller was taken to the Ooma VM system. Ooma VM system may also kick-in in cases where you lost power, internet and such.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Also to make sure that the Do Not Disturb feature isn't selected, malfunctioning or confused, press the Envelope Icon, located on the face of the Ooma Telo, until it turns Yellow. Then press the Envelope Icon again until it turns Blue.

Lakeo

Post by Lakeo » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks ibmofo & thunderbird:

I cycled the "do not disturb" button "on" back to "off" just to be sure.

I'll monitor and log any future occurrences to see if I see a pattern.

Unless someone else has some other ideas, for now I guess I'll just assume ibmofo's highly technical term,
" hiccup", applies. :D

lakeo

BTW: I follow the forum on a fairly regular basis, and want to thank both of you, and several others, who help with questions on a regular basis. I've learned a lot from your posts, and appreciate how helpful you are to those on the forum to whom you have offered assistance.