Dial tone...no calls in or out

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
rodneyat
Dial tone...no calls in or out

Post by rodneyat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:41 am

I have had this problem off and on the entire time I have had the Ooma. But, now, it is all the time. I can't get it to go away. My setup is Ooma plugged directly into AT&T Uverse 2Wire Gateway. I get dial tone but can't get calls in or out. I have tried the *98 and *96 thing. No dice. I have tried putting the Ooma in the 2Wire DMZ and tried with it inside the private network. I have powered the Ooma off for extended periods of time. Still nothing works. I am pretty much done with this thing..it is essentially useless to me.

Any other ideas?

Running firmware 52474 btw. Not sure if that is the latest or not

thunderbird

Re: Dial tone...no calls in or out

Post by thunderbird » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:48 am

rodneyat wrote:I have had this problem off and on the entire time I have had the Ooma. But, now, it is all the time. I can't get it to go away. My setup is Ooma plugged directly into AT&T Uverse 2Wire Gateway. I get dial tone but can't get calls in or out. I have tried the *98 and *96 thing. No dice. I have tried putting the Ooma in the 2Wire DMZ and tried with it inside the private network. I have powered the Ooma off for extended periods of time. Still nothing works. I am pretty much done with this thing..it is essentially useless to me.

Any other ideas?

Running firmware 52474 btw. Not sure if that is the latest or not
Ooma Telo firmware 60080 is the latest that is being pushed out right now.

First: make sure that the Do Not Disturb (Envelpe) button on the face of the Ooma Telo is blue. Push the button to turn it yellow, then push it again to turn it blue.

Next if that doesn't help:
Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right.
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the Stop button. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
8. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
9. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
10. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
11. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
12. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

Next if you still have the problem:
Temporarily take you Ooma Telo to friend or relatives home and connect it to their router. Then make and receive test phone calls. If it works fine there, then the problem is probably with the Modem/Router.

rodneyat

Post by rodneyat » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks..I will give the factory reset a try. Is there any tips to forcing a firmware update? I really can't believe mine is that out of date.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:11 pm

rodneyat wrote:Thanks..I will give the factory reset a try. Is there any tips to forcing a firmware update? I really can't believe mine is that out of date.
The firmware is "pushed" out by Ooma at their schedule. Sometimes when an Ooma user is having big problems, after contacting Ooma Customer Support level two or three, they will "push" and advanced copy of the new Ooma Telo firmware out to that Ooma user. Or you can just wait and you will have it with the next two weeks.

rodneyat

Post by rodneyat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:03 am

OK. So, there is a "gotcha" to all of this. I now know...if your system is running firmware 60080 and do a factory reset. You will not be able to register your phones again. Someone did not think this through very well at Ooma!

So, after spending a ton of time on the phone with Ooma. I had to connect a regular phone to the Ooma and then dial *#*#301. I guess that apparently puts the base in legacy mode. Then I was able to register my phone again.

So, firmware 60080 apparently has features in it for the new handsets coming out but pretty much renders your old handsets useless unless it's in legacy mode.

I am definitely getting more and more frustrated with Ooma. I am not really sure the money I saved on phone bills is worth the hassles....

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:13 am

rodneyat wrote:OK. So, there is a "gotcha" to all of this. I now know...if your system is running firmware 60080 and do a factory reset. You will not be able to register your phones again. Someone did not think this through very well at Ooma!

So, after spending a ton of time on the phone with Ooma. I had to connect a regular phone to the Ooma and then dial *#*#301. I guess that apparently puts the base in legacy mode. Then I was able to register my phone again.

So, firmware 60080 apparently has features in it for the new handsets coming out but pretty much renders your old handsets useless unless it's in legacy mode.

I am definitely getting more and more frustrated with Ooma. I am not really sure the money I saved on phone bills is worth the hassles....
This must be one of those "bugs" that when an Ooma Telo Factory Reset is accomplished, the handset default mode chnages to the mode for the New HD2 handsets. The Ooma Telo handset mode should remain in the mode that it was in before the Factory reset was accomplished.

But I was very good of you to report this problem to the Forum. This way others will be able to avoid the trap that you fell into.

By the way, is your original problem fixed?