Vtech or Ooma Voicemail

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
vandenbeldt
Vtech or Ooma Voicemail

Post by vandenbeldt » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:32 am

I have a vtech phone and ooma telo bundle from costco. Both have voicemail capabilities. I do not wish to pay for Premier Ooma service. Based on this, what are the advantages of going with the Ooma voicemail as compared to the vtech's answering machine on the base? The weblink of what I bought is here .. http://www.costco.com/Ooma-VoIP-Telo-an ... 68149.html

murphy

Re: Vtech or Ooma Voicemail

Post by murphy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 am

You don't have to make a choice.

If the Ooma answer ring count is higher than the V-Tech answer ring count the V-Tech will answer.
If you turn the V-Tech answering machine off then Ooma will answer.
You can try both methods and pick the one you prefer.

It's not a completely free phone service.
You can't avoid the federal and state and local taxes and fees.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 am

Personally, I use both my Panasonic and the Ooma answering. I have mine set to 4 rings and the Ooma set to 6 rings.

I do that because if I get a flash call while I'm on the phone and I choose not to pick it up, that call goes into my Ooma answer service. I simply glance at my caller ID when I get the flash, and I see it is not an important call so I don't grab the flash. Then, that person goes to my Ooma answering machine and they can leave a message.

Actually, the message at my Ooma service says "I am on the phone right now but I'll call you back in a few minutes". My Panasonic message is the routine normal one "you have dialed etc". That's the one that triggers first.

Donna

WJBertrand

Post by WJBertrand » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 am

I really like the Ooma voice message forwarding. I automaticall get an email with an attached audio file of the message on my smart phone or my computer. Never miss a message. What's also kinda neat is that I can then in turn forward the email and attached VM to someone else. Though the kids are all out of the house, we still receive messages for them occassionally. If I let the answering machine pick up the message instead of the Ooma service, then I have to remember to call home to retrieve any messages, or just wait until I get home.
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Personally, I seek out phones without answering machines. For whatever reason the US gets more phones containing answering machines than in any other market. This isn't 1991 for crying out loud!

Nargg

Post by Nargg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:56 am

You could also setup Google Voicemail with your Ooma system if you want to. Just an idea...