Blacklist maximum reached

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Lord Vader
Re: Blacklist maximum reached

Post by Lord Vader » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 pm

A white list can be quite problematic itself when one has a LOT of people who call him/her for legitimate reasons.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Lord Vader wrote:A white list can be quite problematic itself when one has a LOT of people who call him/her for legitimate reasons.
True, but what you are talking about has no "easy" solution.

You pick from say 100 whilelisting of 10,000 blacklistings.

tommies

Post by tommies » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Lord Vader wrote:A white list can be quite problematic itself when one has a LOT of people who call him/her for legitimate reasons.
Well, there is voice mail.
tommies

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Which can be a pain in the ass as well if dozens of friends/acquaintances are leaving messages because they're not on my whitelist.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Duplicate post to notify some key folks requesting wildcard blacklist...

Ooma just enabled wildcard blacklisting viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15436&start=0#p108297

For me, I had 247 blacklist entries today.....using a more conservative approach, just combining same NPA-NXX (at least and most of the time, combining entries with same NPA-NXX or Area Code-Exchange and like 1st digit subscriber number), I got my entries down to 197. Also, I can now block most invalid phone numbers using 0* and 1* entries (phone number starting with 0 or 1). In case I am blocking some numbers that I shouldn't be, I set the treatment to "voicemail;" now, waiting for entry level treatment option and enhanced blacklist manageability.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Took some more time today to consolidate blacklist entries even further getting rid of all Toll Free entries and replacing with 800*, 855*, 866*, 877*, 888*

Now, my blacklist only has 149 entries.

Note: in case a legit Toll Free calls me, I have the Personal Blacklist treament going to voicemail.

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 am

Something on which I wanted to double-check...

I've got my free 2nd number on my Premier service. I also have an additional number for "business" purposes (that's one of the $4.99/mo. numbers). If I blacklist a number or a range on one number, does it apply to all numbers, or do I have to blacklist a number specifically on my secondary or tertiary account? One of the main reasons I ask is because when I moved last summer, I kept my old number, which used to be my primary one but is now my free secondary number, and switched my old secondary #, which is now the area code in which I live, to be my primary number. I often receive unwanted calls to my old primary (again, now secondary) #.

I hope I haven't confused everybody by now. :? :D

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 am

Unless you have a private account (assigned a number of yours to a Linx device, HD2 handset, Scout if you have a Hub etc) and login to those accounts separately, the blacklist you create applies to all numbers in your main account.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:57 am

In a little over 2 years, outside of Toll Free numbers, I've blacklisted numbers falling in about 50 some area codes that are outside of my neighboring/local area.

I've added wildcard blacklist entries to block those area codes that I know I won't usually get legit calls from (and deleted relevant explicit blacklist entries having to do with these area codes).

Here is what I have now (all redirected to VM):
  • Wildcard entries to block all Toll Free calls (5 entries).
  • Wildcard entries to block most area codes that I blacklisted before and I don't usually get legit calls from (about 50 entries).
  • Wildcard entries that are more explicit for neighboring/local area code numbers that I blacklisted before (at least area code + exchange and then plus 1st digit of subscriber number in cases).
  • Wildcard entries to block most invalid numbers (0* and 1*).
  • Outside of what the above covers, explicit blacklisted numbers.
Now, I am down to 111 personal blacklist entries from 247.

For those who want to block every number out there, all you need is 10 entries (0* through 9*)
But you probably don't want to block all numbers in area codes near you.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 pm

In 3 days, I had 2 spam calls so had to add 2 more area-code* entries.

Something different I noticed...although call logs show 10 digit numbers for these spam calls, my callerid device is showing the numbers with 2 leading 1s "11" then the number. Anyone else having this?