Blacklist maximum reached

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
murphy
Re: Blacklist maximum reached

Post by murphy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Have you accidentally posted your number on the internet?

I have 6 phone numbers in three different states and get one or two spam calls a week. Most of the numbers never get any calls. The one that gets the most is the Verizon landline which is listed in the white pages.

The blacklist for my 4 year old Hub has 99 entries and the blacklist for the Telo has 4 entries.

All 6 numbers are on the "Do Not Call list.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:14 pm

No, my # is unlisted and has never been made public (by me, at least) on the Internet or anywhere else I can think of.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:57 pm

You do realize that Telemarketers buys phones numbers in blocks of hundreds, right? Some have several allocated blocks of numbers meaning they have a few thousand numbers to call from.

This is why block by individual numbers is a ruse. We need a blacklist where we can block by name and or phone using wild cards.

skipbisconer

Post by skipbisconer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 am

I suppose changing your phone number is not and option? Sounds like you angered some kook and you are being targeted for harrasment.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 am

skipbisconer wrote:I suppose changing your phone number is not and option? Sounds like you angered some kook and you are being targeted for harrasment.
Maybe, but this happen very soon after porting to Ooma and it's coming from not one, but several places.

If I angered someone, it must have been for switching to Ooma. But the point is moot as many others here have experience similar problems and there is a solution - black or while listing.

I could get rid of my 30+ year old number, but on second though, nope.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15273&p=106542#p106542 Once support for wildcarding has been released you will be able to collapse a lot of entries into one, thereby freeing up space.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Yes, many of us have been asking for a very long time and Ooma has been saying they are working on it for a long time too.

I remain hopeful that it will eventually be implemented, but understand that for some of us, Ooma remains worthless due to the high number of tele-marketers we are getting ever since switching to Ooma.

I personally have stop paying for Ooma Premier due to no black/while listing. If/when it's implemented, I will resume Ooma Premier service.

What would be helpful is not a "we are working on it", but a time line. So if you say it will be ready in the year 2050, that's much more helpful than saying "we are working on it".

Best,
Joe

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 pm

We're targeting to release it in the first half of this year.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm

joe123 wrote:Ooma remains worthless due to the high number of tele-marketers we are getting ever since switching to Ooma.
It has been a little over 2 years since I started adding entries in my blacklist. I feel that Ooma Blacklist is a great feature that no one should be without (with improvements coming, it will be even better); I am sure a lot of Premier users out there feel the same way.

Well, after 2 years, my blacklist is bumping up against the 256 limit. I just went in and cleared out 10 or more entries to make room. What I find useful is the "comments" section when adding an entry into the blacklist. Before adding an entry, I google the number and see if some info comes back from 800notes, whocallsme, whocalled, etc. If I find any info, I make sure to make a note of it in comments. The comments I left in the entries helped me in deciding what entries to get rid of; also, the entry detail would tell you when you added it so that will help you as well when cleaning up entries.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

The current single phone entry is better than nothing, but let's get back down to reality.

Telemarketers buy numbers in batches of hundreds / thousands of numbers.

It would be a full time job to monitor all and then you have the limit of 256.

A white-list on the other hand is very manageable. Or a wild-card black-list.

But the current setup is not realistic.