Second line on Telo

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
sammm
Second line on Telo

Post by sammm » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:56 am

Hi all...just recently bought my Ooma Telo, and am trying to figure out how to use the instant 2nd line (with my introductory Premier). I have the Telo telephone port plugged into a phone wall jack so it feeds all the jacks in the house. That part works great!

Do I have to have an actual Telo handset to use the 2nd line feature, or will any phone with a 'flash' button work?

Thanks in advance!

thunderbird

Re: Second line on Telo

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:59 am

sammm wrote:Hi all...just recently bought my Ooma Telo, and am trying to figure out how to use the instant 2nd line (with my introductory Premier). I have the Telo telephone port plugged into a phone wall jack so it feeds all the jacks in the house. That part works great!

Do I have to have an actual Telo handset to use the 2nd line feature, or will any phone with a 'flash' button work?

Thanks in advance!
You need at least one Ooma Telo HD handset, or one linx device, along with a phone connected through the Ooma Telo phone port, to be able to talk on both lines at the same time.

sammm

Post by sammm » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:00 am

If my phone port is plugged into the wall, how do I accomplish that?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:08 am

sammm wrote:If my phone port is plugged into the wall, how do I accomplish that?
The Telo HD2 handset and the Linx connect to the Telo base via DECT 6 radio.
One call is on the phone connected to the wall.
The second call is on the HD2 handset or on a separate phone that is connected to the Linx.
This is two phone calls using the same phone number.
A second phone number is not involved.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:08 am

sammm wrote:If my phone port is plugged into the wall, how do I accomplish that?
One way is that you would use a phone connected to your house wiring for the first line. The second line would be accessed with a HD2 handset, or a phone connected to the Linx device. You can use the soft keys to change lines using the HD2 handset, or use the flash key or double kick the talk key on a regular phone to change lines.

sammm

Post by sammm » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:23 am

Thanks for the quick replies! I was just reading about the Linx, hadn't heard of that piece before.

It looks like with the Linx I would be able to use any phone (not just an Ooma handset) connected to it, correct?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 am

sammm wrote:Thanks for the quick replies! I was just reading about the Linx, hadn't heard of that piece before.

It looks like with the Linx I would be able to use any phone (not just an Ooma handset) connected to it, correct?
That is correct.
Connect one cordless phone system to the phone port on the Telo.
Connect a second cordless phone system to the phone port on the Linx.
and/or
Connect the phone port of the Telo to the house line 1 wiring.
Connect the phone port of the Linx to the house line 2 wiring.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:45 am

murphy wrote:
The Telo HD2 handset and the Linx connect to the Telo base via DECT 6 radio.
One call is on the phone connected to the wall.
The second call is on the HD2 handset or on a separate phone that is connected to the Linx.
This is two phone calls using the same phone number.
A second phone number is not involved.
My understanding is that you may also associate the Linx or HD2 to a separate number using the "Add Private Account" function and then associate a second number (premier customers) to the new private account you just created and the Linx or HD2 to the private account as well. Then you can be phoned on this second number and only the HD2 or phone connected to the Linx adapter will ring. Distinctive ring is also possible so you may differentiate which phone is ringing. This also gives you separate voicemail, call logging, blacklist, privacy settings and Google Voice extension settings. Is that correct or do I have it wrong? I'm waiting for my Linx adapter to arrive and so haven't been able to try this myself yet. Can you advise if my understanding of how it works is correct?
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

sammm

Post by sammm » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:54 am

EX Bell wrote: My understanding is that you may also associate the Linx or HD2 to a separate number using the "Add Private Account" function and then associate a second number (premier customers) to the new private account you just created and the Linx or HD2 to the private account as well. Then you can be phoned on this second number and only the HD2 or phone connected to the Linx adapter will ring. Distinctive ring is also possible so you may differentiate which phone is ringing. This also gives you separate voicemail, call logging, blacklist, privacy settings and Google Voice extension settings. Is that correct or do I have it wrong? I'm waiting for my Linx adapter to arrive and so haven't been able to try this myself yet. Can you advise if my understanding of how it works is correct?
That would be perfect for my needs if it works that way. I just signed-up for a year of Premier for $99, and got them to throw in a Linx for free.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:03 am

You can put an HD2 or a Linx in private mode and assign a second number to it.
This prevents it from being used for the instant second line. Another HD2 or Linx would be needed in the default group for the instant second line to work. The instant second line has nothing whatever to do with a second phone number. They are completely independent of each other. With two phone numbers in use GVE would require a third virtual number which costs $4.99 per month. The virtual number is used by the Telo to communicate with Google and is not used to make or receive calls.
Note that however you are configured or how many numbers you have only two simultaneous calls are possible.