Distinctive rings for Contact List

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
kevmken@yahoo.com
Distinctive rings for Contact List

Post by kevmken@yahoo.com » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:28 am

I'm a new Ooma customer. I came over from a VOIP service that supports a couple of different distinctive rings for whitelisted numbers. I came to Ooma for the Caller Name blocking since many solicitors now use many numbers under one Caller ID.

Ooma Telo with Premier subscription only seems to support distinctive ring for my Ooma numbers, not my Contact numbers. i.e. I can hear which Ooma number was dialed, but it is for all inbound calls. I still have no idea if it's someone I want to speak to. Since I only have one Ooma Telo number, I don't care about distinctive rings assigned to that number.

Essentially, I would like to be able to assign one or more distinctive rings to individuals, or all numbers on my My.Ooma Contact List. That way I can know that one of the numbers on my Contact List is calling, and it's not just anybody. This feature helps a lot to filter solicitor calls and is supported by a number of competitor services. It's the one piece that Ooma Telo seems to be missing in caller controls.

Robek

Re: Distinctive rings for Contact List

Post by Robek » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:43 pm

Ooma Premier comes bundled with a second phone number. If you already have Premier for Caller Name Blocking, then why not set up another number with a different ring pattern? One number can be private for trusted callers, and the other can be public for everyone else.

This is not the same as being able to assign different ring tones to different calls based on the caller's number, but it could be a useful workaround, until Ooma implements another option.