Voice Mail Indicator on handset not clearing

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Post Reply
boberonicus
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 am
Voice Mail Indicator on handset not clearing

Post by boberonicus » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:52 am

Setup
Internet -> Home router -> Ooma Telo
Ooma -> RJ11 -> AT&T CL83464 (brand new)
Answering Machine on base station is disabled.
Dial Tone: Ooma (this could be the cause)

Problem Replication
- Incoming caller leaves voice mail (OK)
- Handset displays "1 missed call, New Voicemail" (OK)
- Pickup handset, dial home phone #, listen to message, delete message (OK)
- Handset still displays "1 missed call, New Voicemail" (Problem)

Workarounds
- Tried using different handsets, made 10+ years ago (same problem)
- Menu on base station permits clearing message (fixes problem, but cumbersome)
- Unplug base station (fixes problem)
- Ooma support via chat (told me to call support)
- Ooma support via 800 number (said it was my handset. Couldn't explain why BOTH handsets had same problem.)

Any ideas appreciated! I'm thinking that changing the dial tone to "regular" might improve signalling between Telo and handset.

murphy
Posts:7513
Joined:Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Location:Pennsylvania

Re: Voice Mail Indicator on handset not clearing

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:22 pm

The problem is that when the handset is off hook it can't receive the signal from the Telo to turn off the indicator. Try listening to a voicemail by playing it on the Telo through the Telo speaker and see if it clears then.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thomasm
Posts:478
Joined:Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Voice Mail Indicator on handset not clearing

Post by thomasm » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:45 am

murphy wrote:The problem is that when the handset is off hook it can't receive the signal from the Telo to turn off the indicator. Try listening to a voicemail by playing it on the Telo through the Telo speaker and see if it clears then.
The telo doesn't send the signal to clear the call waiting indicator while the line is still off hook. It waits about five seconds after the line is idle to send the signal. It also sends an update signal any time the line is accessed and then released. This signal which is really a burst of data using the Bell 202t modem standard can be heard with a butt set or line monitor. Perhaps there is a problem with either this particular telo or the handset/phone system being used. Without a second phone or a line monitor it will be difficult to determine the source of the problem.

boberonicus
Posts:10
Joined:Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 am

Re: Voice Mail Indicator on handset not clearing

Post by boberonicus » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:53 am

thomasm wrote: The telo doesn't send the signal to clear the call waiting indicator while the line is still off hook. It waits about five seconds after the line is idle to send the signal. It also sends an update signal any time the line is accessed and then released. This signal which is really a burst of data using the Bell 202t modem standard can be heard with a butt set or line monitor. Perhaps there is a problem with either this particular telo or the handset/phone system being used.
This is VERY helpful for diagnostics. I had been trying to figure out what the signaling protocol / method was to communicate with the handset(s). Ooma support was particularly clueless in this regard.
thomasm wrote: Without a second phone or a line monitor it will be difficult to determine the source of the problem.
Well I DO have a second set of handsets, from a different manufacturer, made 10 years ago. They exhibit the same behavior. Also, after deleting the message, hanging up the VM session, and waiting 10 minutes, I took the phone off hook / on hook and the message still never cleared. This would tend to point the finger at the Telo, right?

thomasm
Posts:478
Joined:Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Voice Mail Indicator on handset not clearing

Post by thomasm » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:37 am

Yes, if a second phone with voicemail indicator capability also doesn't work, there is a good probability that the telo isn't sending the signal. Remember, there are many caller ID devices/phones that support incoming number/name display, but do NOT support voicemail indication. These older devices only listen for the signal immediately after the first ring. The calling party's number and name info is sent between the first and second ring. The format is the same as voicemail indication.

Farscaper
Posts:5
Joined:Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Voice Mail Indicator on handset not clearing

Post by Farscaper » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:57 am

I had the same issue and just pulled the one battery and reinserted it and the message disappeared.

Post Reply