Loooong delay in outbound call connect time

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Al_from_NJ
Loooong delay in outbound call connect time

Post by Al_from_NJ » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm new to Ooma and am very disappointed with the amount of time it appears to take to establish a call when dialing out. After my telephone finishes dialing, it can take 10-15 SECONDS of silence before I hear the LOCAL called number ringing. In some instances, no connection is made to the dialed party and I'm returned to dial-tone before the call is dropped; in other cases, the connection is made, but I continue to hear a few seconds of silence as the called party or voice-mail begins to respond. In all cases where a connection is made, the sound quality is good and there's no echo or sound distortion.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by years of AT&T landline or Comcast/Xfinity VoIP service, but I consider this lag, delay, excessive latency, or whatever unacceptable and I'm weighing switching from Ooma to another provider whose service is consistently more reliable and for whom I don't feel I have to play system engineer or tester, particularly for the really basic service that I require. I have found the Ooma Support people to be very polite and well-meaning, but they have not resolved this problem and have assured me that all is well and they will continue to investigate.

Here are some details about my setup:

Phones - Panasonic 5-handset TGF-370 DECT 6.0 cordless phone system, with base station connected directly to the Telo.

Hardware Configuration - Telo is installed between my antique ARRIS TM822 cable modem and my almost-as-old Netgear WNDR4000 wifi router. Ethernet cable from the modem is connected to INTERNET input on the Telo, and the Ethernet cable from my router is connected to the HOME input on the Telo. (FWIW, I soon plan to install a brand-new Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wifi cable modem-router.)

Could some kind soul at Ooma verify which phone server I'm linked to - US East (where I live) or West Coast? I gather being connected to a more distant server could cause lags or delays.

Thanks to any and all for your help!

Alan

oomamaniacal

Re: Loooong delay in outbound call connect time

Post by oomamaniacal » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Do you have 10-digit dialing enabled in your My Ooma account?
When 10-digit dialing is enabled, you will experience a five second delay after you dial if try to make a local call using only seven digits. You can avoid this delay by pressing # after you finish dialing, or by disabling 10-digit dialing.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

stetou

Post by stetou » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:13 pm

I have the same problem. It happened sometimes, but for 1 week its more often.
10-digit dialing is disabled in my setting

I also have incoming calls problem that happes often now
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20769

CharlesF

Post by CharlesF » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47 pm

I too have been experiencing this problem - long delay when placing outgoing calls. All was working fine for months and then a few days ago this started happening.

(In addition to this problem, around the same time, incoming calls are also problematic - I pick up and answer and say Hello, Hello, Hello and can not hear the caller. This second issue is covered in its own thread in this forum.)

DCUNY

Post by DCUNY » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:32 am

This is happening to us too, but not for every phone number. It is frustrating my spouse immensely :x . And therefore frustrating me......

Any timeframe for a fix?
Thank you

Al_from_NJ

Post by Al_from_NJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks to all for your replies.

I did disable 10-digit dialing but the problems persisted. I continued to bug Ooma Support and they did some remote tweaks to my Telo, which seem to have fixed the issue: there is no significant delay in connect time, at least for the few local and out-numbers I've dialed. Also, I haven't noticed the problem I was experiencing with called parties (human or voice-mail) answering my calls before I even knew I was connected.

However, I did get a call from Chris in Ooma's San Francisco office and he was hopeful but a bit wary that my problems have been totally resolved, so he is keeping my ticket open through Friday. Even if my ticket is closed, I won't hesitate to bug Support again if necessary. It is not unreasonable to expect our calls will be connected promptly and not lost in telephonic limbo.

I'm sorry I don't know what specific changes Ooma may have made to my Telo, but I hope it can be applied to resolve similar problems that others have encountered.

Alan

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:58 am

[MOR,UP0,VQM1] Al_from_NJ, is the issue resolved after the adjustment by support?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:16 pm

[MRO,UP512,VQM0] CharlesF, please try now

RRR7

Post by RRR7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:32 pm

I am experiencing a similar problem, and it only recently developed. When I call a local number, there is a long pause. I hear no ringing from the other end. The other party answers, but I don't hear them initially. Nor do they hear me. This is happening with only one number right now.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:12 am

RRR7, adjusted your QoS, please try again now and report back