Incoming call rings, but can't answer

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: Incoming call rings, but can't answer

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:23 pm

ok, continue checking and let me know if the system is back to behaving like it was a couple of weeks ago

Wernowhere

Post by Wernowhere » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Will do. Thanks.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:26 pm

For those running into the same issue go to setup.ooma.com and change your QoS upstream to a value greater than the default 512, preferably one approximating your internet's true upstream bandwidth (if that value is greater than 5-10 mbps just change Ooma's upstream to 0).

To measure bandwidth:
http://support.ooma.com/speed-test/
http://phonepower.com/speedtest
http://www.speedtest.net/

johnjohn

Post by johnjohn » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi, I'm having the same problem and I'm very glad to see there is a potential fix here. However I'm not able to get to setup.ooma.com. It says "This site can’t be reached setup.ooma.com’s server DNS address could not be found." Any thoughts? Thanks. John

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Connect a computer to the Home jack of the Telo using a LAN cable. If the computer has wireless capability, disable the wireless. Then connect to setup.ooma.com
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:01 pm

johnjohn, your telo is not in the topology expected to have this issue. What exactly are you experiencing?

johnjohn

Post by johnjohn » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:52 am

Hi. Initially I had my Telo installed between my cable modem and router. Just 2 days ago I changed it to the current configuration. My issues are just like those described earlier in this thread. When we pick up the phone it stops ringing but we cannot hear anything. It continues ringing for the caller and they go to the Ooma voicemail. When placing a call we do not hear the ringing on our end but it is ringing on the other end but they do not hear anything when they pick up. These issues started a few days ago, just like with the initial poster. When I reset the Telo the next call will usually work but then no others after that. I will try plugging into the Telo and changing the QoS setting. Let me know if there is any other information that I can provide that would help with troubleshooting.

*edit
Both of my QoS settings (up and down) were set to zero already. I currently have it set to 1024 and after resetting the Telo it has worked for the first inbound and outbound calls.
Last edited by johnjohn on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:17 am

johnjohn, since you're online can you do quick test and see how it's working now?

johnjohn

Post by johnjohn » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:21 am

I was editing my prior post when you were posting your message. My first calls after resetting the Telo worked. I will make a few additional test calls now.

*edit: so far so good since the setting change. I will post again if the problems re-appear.
Last edited by johnjohn on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:29 am

When you say 'reset telo' you mean power cycle? With latest release any telo behind router not using home port has QoS set to 0 when it goes into service since any other value serves no purpose.

And what was QoS upstream set to when you had telo behind modem?
You seem to suggest the problem persisted after changing to behind router. Is that correct?