Nomorobo call blocking not working.

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
TonyW
Re: Nomorobo call blocking not working.

Post by TonyW » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:04 pm

These are probably all new numbers reported between Ooma NMR database imports. It's obviously being applied it 'live' to your mobile. I just temporarily add those new #s/IDs to my personal block list. I posted a link to my evolving strategy a few posts back.

Currently, things are VERY quiet.. literally NO calls over the last month, or so (hope I didn't jinx things), but there are times where the volume spikes & I resort sending all callers NOT listed on my contact list to VM. Not my 1st choice, but it beats the frustration of phone spam.

EFlores

Post by EFlores » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:35 pm

TonyW wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:04 pm
These are probably all new numbers reported between Ooma NMR database imports. It's obviously being applied it 'live' to your mobile. I just temporarily add those new #s/IDs to my personal block list. I posted a link to my evolving strategy a few posts back.

Currently, things are VERY quiet.. literally NO calls over the last month, or so (hope I didn't jinx things), but there are times where the volume spikes & I resort sending all callers NOT listed on my contact list to VM. Not my 1st choice, but it beats the frustration of phone spam.
Thanks TonyW, I am still hopeful that this will get better, I will follow your advise and see how it goes. :)

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:34 pm

I found this Sentry v. 3.1 call screener on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Industrie ... ics&sr=1-1

It would not work for customers who use the Ooma handsets or the Linx devices. However, it could save money for those who subscribe to Premier just for the call screening features. I have no experience with with the unit, but it has gotten some good reviews.

Here is the top review: "I am an electrical engineer, and I can tell you I searched high and low for the best device to defeat robocalls. Forget the other devices like nomorobo that compare the incoming phone number to a big blacklist..... telemarketers are just faking random caller id's. This device has a recording that immediately tells callers to hit the '0' key while a robot dialer is still searching for a telemarketer to connect the call to after it has been answered. Since the telemarketer doesn't hear that message, they never press '0', and the call is never connected to you. Once your friends and family press '0' and are in the system, their calls are passed through directly to you without interruption. The device also has a huge blacklist number memory for blocking certain numbers. The unit also has a two memory answering machine function which ONLY works after a caller has pressed '0'. Your regular answering machine will pick up all other legit calls. (The device manual does not mention this feature.) My mother LOVES this thing!"
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:16 pm

I'm seeing more and more robocalls and other telemarketers slipping past the call blocking too... This is one of the biggest reasons to have Premier so I hope they get this resolved quickly

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 am

I got a call from 928-412-8017 today which nomorobo has listed as a robocaller

https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup/928-412-8017

Why isn't this being caught with the nomorobo plugin here?

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:29 am

Because Ooma doesn't apply the NMR database 'live'. It imports the database once a week, "early Monday morning". Any new numbers reported after that won't get picked up until the next import. This has been discussed/objected to by the community ad nauseam. It is what it is, but that's why.

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:18 pm

So then in theory being this appears to have first been blocked today (9/20) the Monday update on 9/23 should include it??

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:48 pm

That's been my experience. Of course, the scammers are a constantly moving target, so they'll have moved on to new numbers by then. :x

You might consider some of the things I've been trying over the years, with some amount of success...

https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 74#p141445

https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 83#p147383

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:28 pm

I know they can change numbers quite easily and hopefully with the caller ID authentication ideas they have been talking about that will stop this (although I'm sure they will finds away around it in time too). It's too bad Ooma database is not updated more frequently but maybe that will change one day too.

Anyway thanks for clearing up why it wasn't filtering it and also for the links to the ideas to help manually filter other ones.

On this particular one I did add it manually and listed it as a robocaller.