Any way to tell how many calls were blocked by Premier?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
lmacmil
Any way to tell how many calls were blocked by Premier?

Post by lmacmil » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 am

I get anywhere from 2 to 6 spam calls a day. I decided to give Premier a shot so I signed up for the 30-day free trial. Too soon to tell if it's working but I'm wondering if there's any way to tell how many calls have been blocked or intercepted? Since the spammers change phone numbers more often than I change socks, I doubt that NoMoRobo is going to be all that effective because I know I've gotten the exact same spam call from multiple different numbers. I have enabled all the call-blocking features except the one that blocks calls not in my contacts list.

testy

Re: Any way to tell how many calls were blocked by Premier?

Post by testy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Ooma used to send me a monthly email summary of the calls that I received that would have been blocked if I had Premier service.

They stopped sending those several months ago.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Logging of blocked calls was a 'phase 2' follow-on to the current 'enhanced call blocking' which, to date, has not materialized. Only way to tell is "when the phone don't ring...", you know it's working.

ron5151

Post by ron5151 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:43 pm

I have NoMoRobo and it works fine with Ooma. I know it is working because NoMoRobo does not block calls, it lets the call go thru to your phone but disconnects it after the first ring. I get the same number of 'single ring calls' as I did when I was on Verizon FIOS phone service.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:37 am

@ron5151, that means you're not using the native 'NMR' implementation. Ooma imports the NMR database weekly & applies it like your personal block list (premiere feature), therefore the phone never rings. I'm guessing you've applied the NMR number to your 'Call Forwarding' settings? Fine if you're not a premiere subscriber, but I use that for my mobile #. Still, it's good that Ooma Basic subscribers have a NMR option.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:27 am

Call forwarding is a Premier feature.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:44 am

Indeed, it is. So ron5151 is just not using the native NMR implementation. I stand corrected. I'm happy w/ NO rings, but I guess it's one way to assure oneself that that level of call blocking is working.

lmacmil

Post by lmacmil » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 am

It's too early to make a definitive statement but the early results are encouraging. I started the trial Thursday night. Got a couple calls Friday but nothing Saturday, Sunday or so far (as of 2:30 pm) today. My call log doesn't show any missed calls and I've got no voicemails (which anonymous callers can leave) so if I am getting robocalls, they are being intercepted. We'll see what happens the rest of the week.

oomamb

Post by oomamb » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:39 am

Reviewing what numbers are blocked would be very useful. I'm a new user too and discovered that my pharmacy (RiteAid) prescription robocaller, and my wife's work (a hospital that has all lines call out on the same number) were both blocked with NoMoRobo turned on.

Since Ooma users don't have a traditional NoMoRobo account, there's no way to report the error to NoMoRobo. Our only option is to whitelist the number by adding it to your contacts. However, besides my wife, I usually don't have "good" robocaller numbers in my contact list because they're outbound only; you never call them.

The problem here is, if a "good" number calls you that is not in your contact list, and it is caught by blocking, and it doesn't leave voicemail, there is no way to know it called at all. Being able to review a block log (with enhanced callID info) would be very valuable.

Fortunately, both callers left voicemail. Unfortunately, if other folks I want to hear from are calling and not leaving voicemail, I have no way of knowing it. At least with traditional callerID, you see all the calls.

Would love it if Ooma would add this, but I see adding it has been talked about in these forums since 2009, and it's been called a "coming future enhancement" in 2014. Not holding my breath.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:52 am

"Since Ooma users don't have a traditional NoMoRobo account..."

You can create an NMR acc't by specifying a phone provider other than Ooma. Once the acc't is established, you can correct that. Aside from being able to unblock numbers, the obvious benefit would be the ability to report new SPAM numbers. The don't report themselves & you improve things for the community at large.
Last edited by TonyW on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.