When calling into my Ooma line - callers hear no ring

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
dcmidnight
When calling into my Ooma line - callers hear no ring

Post by dcmidnight » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:48 pm

My number just finished being ported over today. Phone rings normally on my end. Voicemail seems to work so far.

But when testing out the line callers into my phone hear no ring on their end. Just dead silence until the voicemail or I picks up. If you listen real closely when you call you can hear very faint little computer clicks/beeps/noises in the background.

?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: When calling into my Ooma line - callers hear no ring

Post by Bobby B » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi dcmidnight,

Two other customers in your local area have reported the same issue (not hearing any ringback). We're currently investigating the problem.

I've added your name to the current internal ticket we have open (#2585). So far this only affects calls in the same local calling area. Long distance calls are not affected. Hopefully we'll be able to find the root cause of this problem soon.

-Bobby
Bobby B

OomaParadox

Post by OomaParadox » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Has this issue been resolved? I am experiencing the same problem. My neighbor just informed me that she couldn't connect & when I tested it, no ring tone was heard from the callers side. If I called & waited long enough, the voicemail kicked in. The phone was ringing the whole time at home, but you couldn't hear any ring tone from the callers side. Also, the caller ID did not display my neighbor's info. It showed "Out of Area", even tho' my neighbor has called ID turned on.

I tried to call from a cell phone & it worked OK on both the home side & caller side.

I am in the 714 area code if that makes any difference.

samandjinna

Post by samandjinna » Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 am

Same thing happening here. Seems that some people hear a ring, others don't. Sometimes, people can't even leave VM. Hopefully this is a simple configuration issue, otherwise I will not be a happy camper, as it seems some people will have problems reaching me forever!

oomauser1

Post by oomauser1 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:44 am

My area code is 845 in NY state. Recently I reported
this problem to Tech Support of no ringback and
silence of about 12 seconds or so when calling local
numbers. When you call a local number you hear
nothing for about 12 seconds and then either the
voicemail kicks in or the person you called picks up
the phone. Long distance numbers begin to ring right
away.

OomaParadox

Post by OomaParadox » Tue May 05, 2009 10:23 am

I posted on 3 March 2009 and since then, I have had email contact with Tech Support. I still have this issue after 2 months and I don't know what is being done to solve the problem. I have cycled power as suggested by Tech Support & have had a new IP address assigned (my cable company uses dynamic IP addressing). It seems to not work in the morning and work as the day progresses. No further contact from Tech Support since 19 March 2009. I test the Ooma system daily by calling the Ooma assigned number from another landline that is using AT&T (our old number hasn't been disconnected and won't be until this issue is resolved). A few weeks ago, it was actually getting better. Today, I haven't been able to get a ring tone and I've tried calling about a dozen times from 8am until 11:20am. Any one else out there solve this problem?

jchan334

Post by jchan334 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:55 am

I am experiancing the exact same problems you guys are describing. Is there been a solution yet? When my friends and family call me, they think my phone is dead!

NavyMustang

Post by NavyMustang » Thu May 21, 2009 6:22 am

I just began my service last night and am experiencing the same thing. I am in the 518 area code. I noticed that it was intermittent so I called thirty times in a row from my office phone and thirty times from my cell phone (for a total of 60 straight calls).

I heard the ring 14 of 30 times from my office and 16 of 30 from my cell so exactly 50%. Each time, I was told that the phone rang at home AND the calls are listed in my Ooma Lounge call log so the calls ARE going through but, as others have mentioned, the caller cannot hear the fact that the line is ringing through.

Because the calls are GOING THROUGH 100% of the time, it's not an IP issue so assigning an updated IP as one person below mentioned wouldn't have any effect. I'd be curious as to the ring vs. no ring stats for local calls vs. calls from out of the area as well. I will try to have someone call from long-distance to see if it makes a difference. I'd also like to see if calling my secondary number with an out-of-state area code will make a difference. I'll post an update if either of those do.

If anyone has heard of a solution to this, please fill us in. Ooma, what's the status of your internal ticket #2585 from last October?

Mike

NavyMustang

Post by NavyMustang » Thu May 21, 2009 7:51 am

Here's an update of my testing...

I called my second, out-of-area number thirty times - 15 from work and 15 from my cell phone. I was able to hear the line ringing through ALL THIRTY times.

Wondering if it was only a local-to-local calling issue, I borrowed a co-workers cell phone who has an out-of-area number and made 15 calls to my primary NY number. It only rang through 7 times so again, about half. All of the calls appeared on my call log and rang in my house, just as before.

SO, first appearance is this looks to be an issue at the local exchange level.

Hoping to hear from Ooma on this matter...

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu May 21, 2009 8:21 am

If you need assistance the best way to do it is via Customer Service. The forum is a good place to find help, but for your issue calling them with all your good information and getting a ticket opened will be the only way your issue can be fixed. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
1-888-711-6662

Wayne