Cannot block spoofers using my own number

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
JohnSF
Cannot block spoofers using my own number

Post by JohnSF » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 am

This started yesterday. Blocking my own number does not work. Support told me the system does not allow blocking your own number because it would cause "system problems". I've turned off the Telo device and associated phones. If this cannot be fixed, may have to port the number elsewhere.
Ooma Premier
Multiple accounts

TonyW

Re: Cannot block spoofers using my own number

Post by TonyW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:14 am

I BELIEVE I've been blocking my own # all along... except for a couple that slipped through recently due to adding myself to my contact list. (Who knows why? Genius, in the Wile E. Coyote vein, I suppose). Other than that, it's worked reliably for a number of years.

Currently, it's covered by a filter(s) of my entire local area code/exchange. You could try that... with blocked calls sent to VM?

JohnSF

Post by JohnSF » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:33 am

Tony,

Thanks much for your post. Actually, you may have provided me the solution. I was in the Contact list because I had imported it from my smartphone which included it. So that may have taken precedence over the block list. Will turn the Telo back on and see what happens. The support person may have misled me with incorrect information.

John
Ooma Premier
Multiple accounts

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:51 am

Not to disparage 1st-line support, but I suspect the 'script' didn't cover "I already blocked it, but the calls keep ringing through", so they fell back on the default "you can't do that"? Hope it works out for you.

JohnSF

Post by JohnSF » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:32 pm

It did work. Thanks again.
Ooma Premier
Multiple accounts

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:14 am

Happy to help. & thanks for the confirmation.