Ooma original white box kills network when line is in use

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
shikarishambu
Ooma original white box kills network when line is in use

Post by shikarishambu » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:02 am

I have had an Ooma white box from way back 2008 (before it was called Telo). I have my Xfinity modem in front of it and Google router behind it. This week with everyone working from home and my wife forwarding her work phone to home number I noticed that the network just dies/ is super slow when a voice call is going on. I went to my ooma portal to see if the old setting to adjust call quality aka bandwidth usage is there but I couldn't find it.

Any suggestions/ ideas on what might be the issue/ how to fix it?

thanks
ooma user since May 2008
still on the original white hub

andyross

Re: Ooma original white box kills network when line is in use

Post by andyross » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:09 am

There is no need to put the Telo between the modem and your router. Plus, it's probably slowing you down as it's limited to 100Mbit, and being that old, may not even be able to make full use of that.
Connect your router to your modem, then the Ooma to the router.

murphy

Re: Ooma original white box kills network when line is in use

Post by murphy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 am

You will have to power cycle (turn it off, disconnect battery if it has one, wait 30 seconds, power back on, reconnect battery) the modem when you make this change. Do not connect your computer to the Home jack of the ooma unless you need to access its built-in web page to change the configuration.

My modem has a gigabit interface as does my router and computers. I own the modem and router. There is no way I would put a 100 megabit road block between them.

The white box from 2008 is not a Telo. The Telo was introduced in September 2009.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx