Busy signal every time I try and call out

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
bbgarnett
Busy signal every time I try and call out

Post by bbgarnett » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am

So all of a sudden about a week ago we've been getting a busty signal when trying to dial out and I have no idea what has caused the issue. We can receive calls just fine but whenever we dial out it's a busy signal. We have had ooma for almost 10 years now with zero issues so not sure what could have happened. I have ten digit dialing enabled and have tried dialing with the area code and without and also dialing with a 1 in front and even tried the *98 1 and then the number but it's just busy each time. I have unplugged everything and re powered everything one at a time. My setup is Modem to router to ooma. I have Comcast and use my own modem and I know that my modem has become unprovisioned from Comcast but it still works just with not the speed I should be getting, so maybe that's causing an issue? I tried getting them to re provision it but they just keep saying they can't as it's not on there approved list anymore (Arris SB6183) and that I need to buy a new modem. I mean I will be getting a new modem just haven't yet as I am trying to find a good deal on a Docsis 3.1 modem. I did a test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip-test.htm and got green for everything. So bot sure what to do next, I guess i'll have to leave the ooma unplugged for an hour or so and see if that helps.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Edit I live in the US if that matters at all.

Edit #2 I also did a free trial of ooma premier just so I could have the call forwarding so I setup the call forwarding to ring my cell # so that I could leave the ooma unplugged but that's not working either. It just rings 5 times and says not available or whatever.

murphy

Re: Busy signal every time I try and call out

Post by murphy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:55 am

If your modem isn't provisioned you shouldn't be able to go anywhere on the internet other than Comcast's "Walled Garden".

Get that new modem ASAP.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 am

Hey no I can still use the internet just fine just not getting anywhere near the speeds I should be. I contacted Arris and they figured out that was the problem was the provisioning so I talked with comcast and they said your internet will work just not at the the speeds your paying for. So I can still use the internet but if I want to get anywhere near my 600 Mbps that I get from them I need a new modem. But anyways do you think that could be causing this issue?

Thanks

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

I suspect that it is provisioned and they have set the max speed low to force you to get a new modem.
Check your online account to verify that 10 digit dialing is still enabled. Dialing 10 digits with 10 digit dialing not enabled is always blocked.

If you are using the phone wiring in your walls disconnect that and connect a single phone to the Telo's phone jack and test that configuration.

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am

Hey,

Well is that even legal for them to do that? I mean it's Concast so they probably wouldn't care either way.

Also ten digit dialing is enabled and no I am not using the wiring in my home and never have. but I just plugged my telo back in after about an hour or two of being disconnected and it's partially working. I can dial out and it will work but I have to physically dial the number but if you just go on to the phone and check the caller ID and find the number you want( this is how my grandma always does it) and hit call from there it still produces busy signal even though it's dialing ten digits just not someone physically doing it. So not sure why physically dialing/pressing each number works but going the other route doesn't.

I'm going to be getting the Motorola MB8600 as my new modem. I have it ordered and will be picking it up later today.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 pm

Your phone may be dialing too fast for the Telo to record the digits. The digits are not transmitted directly from the phone. The Telo receives them and then sends what they call perfectly formed touchtones to the outside world.

Go to your online account and put the phone line in alarm mode. I think that turns the recreation of touchtones off and lets the ones from the phone go out. An alarm system talks to its central office using touchtones.

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:55 pm

OK,

thing is dialing the other way has never been a problem in the past so wonder what happened? Also I can't find that section to change that setting. Do you happen to know if putting the line into alarm mode does anything else? Also I don't even have an alarm system so am a little confused as well.

Thanks

Edit: well it seems to be working again so maybe just needed a little while longer to fully wake itself up after leaving it unplugged for that hour or 2.

Thanks though for providing the assistance you did.